Why is my LTD Crown Victoria still loosing engine oil although all major gaskets have been replaced ?

Asked by Apr 30, 2014 at 02:47 PM about the 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 4 Dr LX Sedan

I have a big problem where I need some support: my '90 LTD Crown Vic. is loosing engine oil, but I cannot locate the leak. The oil is dripping down between the engine block and the transmission casing. Following gaskets have been replaced - without much effect: rear engine shaft seal, valve cover gaskets, cylinder head gaskets, upper + lower intake manifold gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets and PCV valve incl. grommet. What else can cause the oil leakage ? Is there any gasket I have missed ?

Have you pulled the Torque Converter inspection cover and looked up toward the block? There are a couple of Oil Galley plugs and the Camshaft plug in there. It would be a rare circumstance but it is possible. The first things I thought of were the intake (notorious) and the valve covers. Are you certain that it's engine oil? There isn't a lot to leak on the 302 (5.0L). Best I can suggest from here is to re-torque the intake and Valve Covers - clean everything up really well with Engine Bright and a high pressure wash, take it for a ride and climb all over and under it.

Hi Tracy, thanks for your prompt response ! Here are some further details: 1. It is defnately engine oil - 100 % sure 2. I have not replaced the gaskets by myself - this was done in a workshop by a technician 3. oil leakage was the reason for taking the car to the garage and having the mentioned gaskets replaced 4. I' m not sure what you mean by "torque converter inspection cover" 5. There is a pipe routing back from the driver side catalytic converter and passing the engine between the oil pan and the transmission - there the oil is dripping down the gound. It' s not much oil but enough to leave an oil stain on the ground.

I'd have that technician recheck his work - for free - if it was done recently. After all - you paid to have the concern resolved and it wasn't. Between the oil pan and the Transmission (where that pipe with the drips is located), there are 2 small bolts that hold a cover in place - it spans the bottom of the Bell Housing and allows a tech to unbolt the Torque Converter from the Flex-plate (Flywheel). With all of that said and done: The most common and most prolific Engine Oil Leaks from the 5.0L (302 ci) engine is the Valve covers and the Intake manifold. They probably forgot to re-torque them after installation. BTW - if they come back and state that some bolts just needed to be re- tightened, you could argue that the gasket has been compromised and that re-tightening them is only a short- term patch - the gaskets will not last.

Best Answer

Tracy, now I know what you mean with "torque converter cover". I remember that I had removed this cover plate once and looked up to the top. But there wasn' t much to see as this was just a small window. The only thing I can say is that there was no oil behind this inspection cover and I' m quite sure the workshop did not touch this during replacing the cylinder head gaskets. For my understanding there may only be engine oil in this area due to a bad crankshaft seal. And the former owner of my car confirmed that this seal was replaced in 2011. So if he didn' t lie to me, this passage should actually be tight. The upper area of the engine is dry - so I think the problem must be located somewhere in the lower half or the back side of the engine. I' ll keep an eye on this ...