when I am driving my 02 chevy trailblazer and i am coming to a stop my rpms go way down to zero and my oil gauge goes up a little bit and then goes all the way to zero and my car dies on me?

Asked by Jan 09, 2017 at 03:51 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4WD

when I am driving my 02 chevy trailblazer and i am coming to a stop my rpms
go way down to zero and my oil gauge goes up a little bit and then goes all the
way to zero and my car dies on me and sometimes it doesnt die. also when
this happens it says oil pressure problems and stop engine.

9,905

First, check engine oil level to make sure it's not low. If oil level is good, check or replace throttle positioning sensor

9,905

Does it only do it after it's warmed up and not when it's cold

81,465

Sounds like a bad IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. When the engine stalls the oil pressure will go to zero because the oil pump is not pumping with the engine stopped. That's normal. You'll also get a charging system warning light as well. HTH. -Jim

10

Hello, Not that my answer will help the question presented here given that it is over a year old now, but I figured I would go ahead and chime in with a response anyway considering it may help others facing the problem that search for answers via google or some other search engine and stumble across this thread. I also have a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer LTZ with the mileage now being 115,500. When I saw the advertisement the lady who owned it put up on Craigslist, I wasted no time calling her about the vehicle…. Especially at the price she had it listed for of $1000 flat That's when she informed me of the issues the SUV was having and her decision of parking it where it sat never to use it again. After hearing her out, I decided, what the hell, I will go take a look in person anyway and take along my scan tool to get some sort of peek at what may be happening and what codes if any at all were being thrown or stored. Upon arriving and looking the Trailblazer over at first glance…. I have to admit I was actually shocked because this thing was immaculate, without a dent and the interior well taken care of. Sorry, I had to mention that… back on topic. I got the keys from her and started it up with the scan tool plugged in collecting data, I noticed from the get go the engine was struggling to stay started and the RPM pulsed up and down, at times the down point almost stalled it. But it never stalled. There were a few other issues that were easy fixes as well, which is where I started to inquire about price negotiation and got yet again another shock. She just wanted the damn thing gone out of her driveway, throw a price at her. I said okay, $500 cash…. She sai sold and pulled the title from her back pocket. (sorry, had to mention that as well). With the deal done, I decide to go ahead and give it a whirl driving it back to my house which was roughly 60 miles away and had a friend follow me in my other vehicle. Once I hit the interstate, that is when the problems REALLY started. Loss of power to the engine, the pedal would not do a damn thing…. not even rev the engine, the rpms rapidly increased and dropped to almost nothing, “Stop Engine Now” and “Oil Pressure” warnings on the instrument cluster and then…. BOOM…. Stalled out. Still rolling, I manage to make it to the easement of the road and turned the key off. I go to start the vehicle again and it would not turn over for nothing. I turn the key back off and get out to go talk to the friend in the vehicle who is now behind me, and to let it set for a few minutes as well. Upon trying to start it again, it fired right off and idle was back to normal… it was literally purring like a freshly pet kitten.Taking off back down the road again… about 15 miles later…. same thing happened again. This happened just one more time before I said screw it and had a flatbed come get it to take it back to my house. Got it back home, called a friend who is a certified GM Service Tech/Mechanic to get his take, he just came over and brought those expensive little tools they love to overcharge us to use on our vehicles. After about and hour and a half of troubleshooting…. The issue this Trailblazer was having with the similar/damn near exact symptoms was the fuel pump was failing and on its way out completely. Upon replacing that, 4 new tires, and a few inexpensive sensors…. I have never experienced those symptoms nor any other symptoms since. The things runs like a champ, although the gas mileage is much to be desired….. But i did want an SUV. At least it is a I-6 and not a V8. Lol. Anyway, sorry for rambling on, I hope my experience with the similar symptoms and solution helps someone as well. Thanks, Mike