why is my transmission getting hot wen going uphill

120

Asked by Jul 26, 2015 at 02:34 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4WD

hi this jorge this Saturday wen I was
going to camp Verde I was going
about 75 mph going uphill and wen I
got back to straight highway my suv
read trans hot idle engine and started
smoking  but I kept going wat could
off caused the transmission to get
overheat how can I fix this problem
help please and also on my way back
to phoenix same thing happend and
wen I was off the highway in every
stop light  my suv  would struggle to
take off and smoke would come out
wen I got home and opend the hood it
was smoking like crazy wat can I do

142,985

Automatic? Drop a gear and let the engine run faster. Less strain on transmission. If you ran it up a grade with a good load in Overdrive or 4th gear, whatever it has, that's why it overheated. Check fluid, and if it is not a nice red color and/or has a burnt odor, change it. Otherwise, top off tho proper level and there may just maybe no damage...remains to be seen. But remember my suggestion about dropping a gear next time.

120

thanks for ur fast response and wen I was going uphill my rpm was at 2rpm and it would suddenly go to 3rpm then back to 2 also wen I was at my mother in-laws house I let my blazer cool down for about 2hrs and wen I got home after that I stoped before going into my driveway then wen I was trying to go foreword it wouldn't move normal it would hesitate trying to move like if the transmission was getting hot again could it be possible that my radiator ain't cooling my tranny oil how is supposed to

77,925

Almost all of the guy out here if they do any off road they have deleted the transmission cooler in the radiator and installed larger tranny coolers out front of the radiator,some have even put on the ones with their own cooling fan and put a trans temp gauge inside the cab. I would absolutely change the fluid and filter then put in some LubeGuard for GM transmissions and then put on the cooler and bypass the radiator cooler, refill the tranny run it through the gears and recheck the level. If it was a cooling problem that should take cars of it.

120

ok kool but I wasn't offroading I was traveling with my family to camp Verde for a family fun day out to fossil creek and there's a heavy going up in the highway and I didn't have that much weight in the blazer just the wife 3 kids and me and tranny overheated and I'm sure it's not suppose to do that so I'm not sure wat caused it to overheat and I need to fix it asap cause it's my everyday work suv I appropriate it all of ur ccomments thanks so if u know another way I can fix this let me know please

77,925

Ok I would just bypass the radiator cooler and put on just a heavy duty unit, that might be cheaper than replacing the radiator as I believe that is where your trouble lies, the internal cooler is plugged. I have seen this a number of times. Besides an external cooler will keep the tranny temps way down and trannies do not like heat.

120

thanks and how could I bypass the radiator cooler or wat do I need to do that appropriate all ur comments thanks alot

77,925

When you buy the cooler kit it should have instructions on how to hook it up as a stand alone unit. If it doesn't then just disconnect the transmission cooler lines that are attached to the radiator, locate a good place for the cooler, then run the hoses to the metal lines, you may want to use push lock hose instead of the hose that comes in the kit cause it is more resilient to tranny fluid, but the choice is yours, after it is all hooked up start it up and check for leaks and make sure the fluid level is at the full mark.

Best Answer
120

ok thank you very much for ur comments I wen out and checked my tranny fluid and its not red at all its clear with some dark powder I thing it got damaged is that wat it means

77,925

Ugh not good, does it drive as it should right now? If it does then drop the tranny pan and look for any metal shavings, it will look like glitter in the fluid, if you don't find any glitter then go ahead and do a service and add the LubeGuard and fill to specs and drive it just make sure it shifts properly, then install the cooler. If it doesn't drive and shift properly then chances are very high the it is toast. HTH

120

well it drives and shifts ok still all the gears shift some alittle hard not much but I have warranty for the shift solenoids I could drop the pan change the filter New oil and the solenoids I thing they got alittle damaged I belive they did but thanks shoul I go threw all that trouble see how it works after