when i stop at a light my oil pressure goes to 0 until i hit the gas and its normal again 02 trailblazer

Asked by Apr 28, 2014 at 02:27 AM about the 2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4WD

my 2002 trailblazer ltz runs good when im at a red light my check gauges comes on most of the time oil pressure goes to a lil over 40 to 0 back and down tells me to stop engine but when I hit the gas its back to normal doesn't sputter or anything im lost

33,775

A couple of things come to mind. When was the last time you changed the oil or the oil pressure sensor is defective. Dose the engine knock or rattle when the oil pressure gage comes on? If so you might need to replace the oil pump. Lots of variables.

13,555

Check the oil level. park the vehicle on a flat surface and turn it off. Wait for 5 minutes for all the oil to drain down into the crank case. Pull out the oil dip stick and with a paper towel or clean rag, wipe it clean. Reinsert the dip stick and pull it out slowly. Look at the oil, if there is any, that is on the dip stick. That should tell you if there is enough oil in the crank case. If it is full or even one quart down, the sensor may be going bad. Worse case is your engine is ready to toss a rod.

160

Have someone check to see if the gauge needle motors are bad. This was a huge issue with earlier models. You can either change the whole cluster or have the motors changed. There's a guy on EBay that is an electrical Engineer and Factory trained for repairing these clusters. I believe he gives free estimates but check to see. I have a later model now and don't have that issue anymore. Good luck

10

Is the oil cap on all the way. That can mess with the pressure

80

My 02 trailblazer can be running just find until I stop for a red light than my CHECK GAGES LIGHT COMES on truck starts run rough if I make a certain turn it cut off but starts right back up it does find as long as I am give it gas can u tell me what I need to do

13,555

Stanley my man. Who stops for red lights? Problem fixed! This sounds like you may have some blockage in the fuel lines going to the injectors or the injectors themselves are in need of some TLC. There are additives that you can put into the gas tank on a full fill up that will help resolve some of the fuel build up. I always use mainly two, or on occasion, three blends of gas to keep the build up from happening. Top brands usually have their won cleaners in the blend and by using more than one, you get different ones. When I go on long trips, I add the fuel cleaner in the tank and half way through the trip, I again add a bottle of the cleaner. Try it. It is far cheaper that a traffic ticket for running a red light. You can find it in some gas stations or car parts places. Worse case would be having a garage clean out the system. This is usually two big bills. Also change out your gas filters. Sometimes water may find it's way into the system and cause some problems. If you change the filters, look at them to see if they have contamination or gunk that may slow down the flow of gas. Cars are like wives. Look good, run nice only if you spend some money on them. both have great rewords. Take both out for a spin when you get it fixed. Best feeling in the world my friend.