2002 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ is blowing HOT air from driver's side vents

35

Asked by Nov 20, 2007 at 10:44 AM about the 2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ

HELP! What could be causing the air conditioning unit (this vehicle has dual climate controls) to suddenly be blowing HOT (too hot to leave vents open) air from driver's side vents, but passenger side vents still blow cold? I've tried several times, adjusting the climate control all the way up to 90 degrees and back down to 60. It's been going on now for over a week. My warranty is long gone (76k miles now). I loathe the idea of a visit to the dealer. ($$$)
Any one have this problem before or has anyone heard of this problem? Thanks for the input.

43,875

It sounds to me like the mix/blend doors for the drivers side are broken or blocked closed. This would lead hot air coming in from the engine into the driver's side vents, while the passenger side can still blow cold. It is also possible that the climate control head for the dual controls is fried, and the car doesn't recognize input from the driver's side controls. Hate to suggest a trip to the dealer, but you might be able to find a local mechanic who would work on this for less. Climate control problems are almost always expensive.

65

might be a pressure switch which isnt ot bad to fix. that just happend with mine.

75

try to keep your windows open so u dont get too hot ofcourse and id defiantly go to a mechnic for this problem if u dont it could mean too much moisture would be coming out and it will mess up your seats and wiring in the car and that means radio, heated seats,etc.

340

the ltz use electrical motors to control the mix blend doors with automatic air control. the motors can strip the plastic gears and the doors will not move which happened to mine it was still under warranty so it was changed at the dealer they had to remove the dash to get to it because it was on the bottom there is more than one motor so you will have to get it checked to find out which one it is. good luck

This vehicle has a terrible AC system. Dealer never seems to be able to fix it. Middle row vents have never worked well. LTZ edition has numerous confusing controls. Terrible design.