I know the power steering pumps are known to whine but I was wounding how to fix that without replacing it?

William Ford

Asked by Dec 01, 2013 at 11:27 PM about the 1992 Ford F-350 4 Dr STD 4WD Crew Cab LB

I have heard that if u run dawn soap
in it that will fix it is that true?

It's a theory, but then what do you do with all the froth that's created...I'd say you're gonna give yourself an unnecessary headache...me MINI cooper does this and only has 43,000 miles on it...within ten minutes goes away...I'm not concerned...nor should you be...unless it's wakin' up the neighbors~

you might change the fluid, with it running, the suction side into the container until it comes out clean the pressure tube~ rack and pinion, you could have someone turn the wheel as you "flush" the power steering fluid...this would take care of the bubbling that causes moans and ugly power steering sounds~

William Ford

Ok thanks I'm not concerned but I'm thinking bout doin an exhaust and the whine really takes away from the sound

Power steering needs serviced too, run a little seafoam in it for a few miles then flush out the old fluid and refill it with power steering fluid, a lot of Fords just used ATF but the newer power steering fluids are way better, and they might just reduce the whine.