1996 f250 not shutting only revs up.

Asked by Mar 12, 2016 at 06:46 PM about the 1996 Ford F-250 4 Dr XLT 4WD Crew Cab LB HD

Was driving it and then all the sudden it just won't
move in any gear can't even feel it shift into gear.

The motor is the 7.5 v8 460 Ford's 385 model and with a c6 transmission

71,445

Motor revving up in gear sounds like the trany is slipping. Check the trany fluid first and if it is full, I would take it to a trany shop to have them check it out in case it would be something simple to fix.

Checked the tranny fluid yesterday was good. I have been having problems when I stomp on the gas to where it would go from 3rd gear to 2nd gear loose it's grip and just rev up like it does right now.

Don't do that much due to the fact of it slipping

Also in fairly good with vehicles what would be some ways to narrow down the trouble shooting on it.

71,445

Yep, the trany is slipping. Probably need to have er rebuilt.

That's what I was hoping not to hear

Could it be something as stupid as the shifting cable

71,445

If it didn't do it before then probably not, but you could check it if this is the only time that it slips. If it slips in normal driving, then the clutches are bad.

Thank you for the help

So I have another question if you got some time

The transmission dipstick did show it had to much which from my knowledge can blow seals. Now there is no leaking from the transmission only minor leaking from oil and there is still transmission fluid in it. I've also heard that they have a filter in the transmission with so many miles on the truck could it be possible that the filter is clogged which isn't allowing fluid to make it through the transmission. Could there be a sensor for this issue which is allowing it not to move.

71,445

Computer problems, finally got back. First, hope you know to check the trany fluid level when the engine is running, when it is not running, trany fluid will show over full. And ya it is possible the filter may be clogged, but if it is, there is a lot of wear in the transmission then. You could drop the pan and try changing out the filter and add new fluid from the loss of dropping the pan, which would be a little more than 3 quarts of fluid. All this would be at a cost of about $35-$40 if you do it yourself. The trany is shifting so I do not thing any solenoids are the problem.