My 91 F250 won't start

20

Asked by Jul 18, 2014 at 12:26 PM about the 1991 Ford F-250 2 Dr XL 4WD Standard Cab LB

Just got back from a 100 mile round trip and I stopped at a freinds
house, shut the truck off, and when I tried restarting it made a click
and all voltage was gone. No lights, no dash indicators,  nothing! After
an hour or so I turned the key and I had voltage but when I tried to
start it the same click and loss of all voltage happened.

116,005

Sounds like dirty/loose battery connections. Also check battery voltage.

Second opinion: dandyoun, good call. Right on. But Corey if your battery is 5 or 6+ years old, replace it regardless. It will strand you somewhere Good morning D..

225

Also check you belt tension and alternator.

225

Also check your belt tension and alternator.

20

Battery is 4 months old. My cables are tight and clean. Belt had proper tension. I'm thinking maybe the starter or ignition system. Idk

225

Check the alternator. Seems like your battery is not being charged while driving. When the battery is charged and engine is idling, disconect the battery. Normally, the engine will continue to run using the power from the alternator.

20

It was the starter.

225

If it was just the starter, why did your battery die?

20

The battery didn't die and I apologize for not being more clear. When I turned the key to the start position, all the lights and gauges would cut out as if the battery was suddenly disconnected. Even after letting the key roll back to the run position the voltage wasn't there. After it sat for an hour or so I could turn the key to run and have voltage but as soon as I turned the key to start..."click".....no power. My maintenance records showed the starter had not been replaced in 17 years and I also noticed a note on the ignition sticking causing the starter to stay engaged and to just turn the key back slightly to prevent this. My first thought was this occurred a few times and weakened the starter and just by chance it went out when I got back from my trip. I hope this clears up any confusion and I apologize.

225

Thanks.

116,005

Glad you got it going. Drive safe.