2002 Chevy Malibu

Asked by Feb 17, 2016 at 01:10 AM about the 2002 Chevrolet Malibu Base

I have a 2002 Chevy Malibu that when I turn my car
off my odometer light and my clock light stays on
and my battery is dead by the morning what is the
problem and why would my odometer in my clock
light not go off

Okay look in my manual for the push button menu?. Thanks I hope it works because I'm tired of getting boost offs . I just bought this car.

Okay well I will definitely try to read on it thanks

Remove the shifter handle by carefully prying out the horseshoe clip in front of the knob...carefully pry the cover over the shifter and remove..in front of the shifter there is a plastic cam that accuates the shifter control module...by working the shifter back and forth you can see it move...spray behind it with WD-40 and work to loosen by hand...reassemble and you are good to go..

hate to suggest this, but corrosion will see brown power to the ECU and limited starting torque...you may just consider putting a new batter in there (new ones wil last 10 years) 2002 tells me you needed a new one a long time ago...also there are several connections to the positive...perhaps they are not all connected properly or are seeing a bit of corrosion confusing the 'lectronics~....so new battery, my friend and INSPECT for corrosion on the critical connections~

if the odometer and radio are staying on the ignition switch is not turning completely off.....also check to see if the wipers turn on with the key in the off position...The "hot" wire comes directly from a 30 amp fuse to the ignition switch...from the switch it splits and goes directly to the radio and wipers....if they are staying on the shift control module is not allowing the switch to go completely to the off position...I just encountered this exact situation last week and it was the cam gummed up..

If it happens to be the ignition switch you can get the body and switch from 1A and it is an easy install...about 15 minutes...Just don't go by their video...It is a Monte Carlo and totally different...

it's your chassis Ground...its so obvious...check with the multimeter, the available voltages at the dash....the lighter would work...for the strength of the Ground there...battery cables mostly rotted, and the connections to the chassis are dodgy would be my guess here~

and a NEW battery...don't duck that purchase..bite the bullet...you NEED that~