Car shuts off when ideling

Asked by Feb 05, 2016 at 06:06 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Impala LS

My 2002 Chevy impala  shakes really bad when I'm
idle and shuts off completely, the other day it shut
down and wouldn't start up again what could this
be?

19,170

When was the last time you had a tune up ?

Like 3 weeks ago

I just had my alternator replaced as well last week

19,170

If it is shaking really bad it has to be missing. Did you also replace the spark plug wires ?

Yes I did I purchased the plugs and wires brand new and had them also replaced almost 2 months ago

Nearly everything under my hoods been replaced in the last year except my starter and battery. My mechanic looked at it today but he thought it could possibly be my motor locked up . then he looked under the car and had me try to start it a few times. The car at first sounded like it wanted to rev then it was just a click sound. So he charged it with jumper cables and it started reving like it wanted to start but no luck. He also said the starter was hot assuming I attempted starting it like 6 times.

I just want another opinion on if I should try replacing the starter maybe someone has dealt with this issue or something.

19,170

Definitely sounds like the starter needs to be replaced but the shaking really bad when it is idling is another problem. If you get vehicle running check for vacuum leaks. Using carb cleaner or starting fluid spray around areas of intake gasket and vacuum hoses to check for leaks engine will rev up if the spray you are using detects a vacuum leak.

68,635

If this is a police car it takes special spark plug wires only available through the dealer. I know from experience. My '02 Impala was a 9C1 police car and it behaved similarly until I put those wires and AC Delco iridium spark plugs in it. The wires are designed to reduce ignition noise in the police radio. I'm assuming that other parts of the ignition system are different as well. One other thing that comes to mind is the crankshaft sensor. They were troublesome on these engines. HTH. -Jim