HELP! I have a 2003 Ford f150. I turn my lights on and have nothing in the back!

Asked by Jan 27, 2016 at 10:39 AM about the 2003 Ford F-150 XL Extended Cab 4WD LB

Driver side is totally dead except reverse light. Drivert side has NO parking
lights, blinker, or brake but the reverse light will turn on. On the passenger side
reverse, brake and blinker work but no tail light! I'm at a lost! I've checked fuses,
all look good. Wiring and connections are tight. What am I missing?

43,085

Replacing the bad bulbs...

89,875

The bulbs may be bad, you will need to check these...

89,875

Good Morning ROWE !

43,085

A good morning to you also joemom.!

Bulbs are good. I replaced just to make sure

I have nothing on the driver side but reverse and no tails lights on either side.

43,085

Well you need to verify if there is power in the lines running up to the sockets. I would start at the plugin to see if there is power there. I would check the plugin for power and non then check behind it. Need to know if power is running back there.

I have a voltage meter I use for the electrical in my house. Will that be OK to use?

Also why would booth tail lights go out at the same time?

43,085

Yes on the meter, you are measuring DC voltage. 12 volts is what you are looking for, and the tail lights I believe run off of 1 power line, (wire), brown I think. Your checking around the plugins first because thats where the trouble starts on the back end. So you need to know if power is getting back there. If it is then you have to start looking elsewhere.

OK thank you. I will start on that now. If I am getting power to the back what would be my next step? I can rebuild an engine but I don't know anything about e!electrical lol

43,085

Your unreal. Then the problem lies in the back end, plugins, sockets, fraid wiring, bad grounds. Check for power in the sockets first then.

89,875

That's a girl after my own heart, She can rebuild a motor !!!!

Rowefast, first let me say thank you for all your help!!!! I have done what you suggested and everything checked out normal. Looked for fraud wires, bad grounds, lose or messed up plugins. Followed the wiring from the bad to the front. What throws me off the most is the fact that besides reverse lights the driver side is dead and everything but the tail light works on the passenger side! I REALLY don't want to take this to a shop! It would be the first time in many years I needed too beside to get tires. LOL

Yes Joemom I can rebuild an engine. Along with welding, body work, and interior. I can NOT paint or electrical (outside of a simple stereo system). I love rebuilding! I have always liked classic cars and back in the days of high school, while most girls took home economics I took auto shop! I have a collection of tools most men would be jealous of.

43,085

Electrical can be frustrating! I know, but if you keep at it eventually you will find the problem. So you must have found something? Is there power running back to the plugins? One break light working is a mystery, means the break light switch is working sending power to the rear. One tail light working means there is power running to the rear for that. The back-up lights are on a different circuit. I think I am going to suggest replacing the relays for the breaks and tail lights. Located somewhere in a fuse box. They are cheap. I'll see what else I can dig up.

Thank you! I swear I would have better luck just beating my head against a wall! I didn't think about the reverse lights being on a different circuit! Good call! Neither tail lights work! I turn my lights on and I've got nothing on either side in the back. So how it goes it like this... DRIVER SIDE reverse light only works PASSENGER SIDE no tail light All other functions work -blinker -brake -reverse

43,085

No tail lights, check the fuse also. I am assuming the wiring and the sockets and the plugins look good. But you have blinker and a break light that works on the passenger side so power is getting to the back end for these circuits. The problem has to be on the drivers side, not getting power.

I've checked and changed all the fuses already. The voltage meter says I'm getting power. I was thinking relay but I'm not finding one for just one side.

43,085

There won't be a relay for just one side, But looking at the parts stores I go to on line, I see that there is a Parking Light Relay. May fix the tail lights. There is power in the break light and blinker lines running to the back if they are working on one side. Make sure the ground is good on the drivers side. You must have found power at the wiring plugin, gotta figure out how to get it to the socket. Wire broke or bad ground. If you can reach from the plugin to the light socket, use the ohms╬ę on the meter to see if the circuit is complete. Take the tail light assembly right out, give you length on the wires.

Ok. I will work on that after some coffee and breakfast. I will keep you posted!

43,085

I will be going to take a walk at 9:30 eastern. Will be back by 11:00

Well I was never able to figure it out so I installed some trailer lights to the bumper lol. Thankj you for all the help!!!