how do i fix my volume knob on my radio

Asked by Mar 18, 2013 at 10:31 AM about the 2001 Ford F-150 Lariat Extended Cab LB

The volume on my stereo is very touchie and when i turn the knob up or down it goes up very quickly usually to full blast. the more i touch it the louder it gets, i only get it down with lots of patience and one bar at a time.  it takes 10=20 mins turning the know one bar to the left then let go, then one click again to the left then let go, over and over until it is low enough

It's a potentiometer. They simply wear out. You MAY be able to but one and fix it yourself, but its taking the radio apart. Personally I would not try it myself.

The pot as we know it was originally known as a rheostat The humble potentiometer (or pot, as it is more commonly known) is a simple electro-mechanical transducer. It converts rotary or linear motion from the operator into a change of resistance, and this change is (or can be) used to control anything from the volume of a hi-fi system to the direction of a huge container ship.

Dang! a 2002 still has a potentiometer? wow. I'm impressed thought the new milennia brought only "take your eyes off the road" style beep beep beep controls what lead to an accident-....guess you'll be changing your potentiometer out with one of these- Combined with a "menu" button, will assure you need to pull over to listen to your tunes! this is a tragedy.

the radio that was obtained from kelseyville auto salvage had a "phony analog" which induced a pulse in a rotary fashion if you are sentimental about the olde time volume controls---quite suprised that 'factory' 2002 still used the ole crunch-dial and wonder could this be what ford uses on their LA riot vehicles? must be aftermarket~

You have a point there. I didn't ask what brand radio it is. But you would still have to take the radio apart..right? To replace whatever type... .well let's say "volume control' it is....wouldn't you? I don't see how it could pop in and out with radio in place, now correct me Bob, if need be

this? she did say "turn knob" as opposed to my Lincoln that had a up/down bar that you would hold up or down, not have to repeat tap tap tap

Yes H25, has to be an aftermarket radio...I concur. kdecocteau (woow frenchy) is going to have to chose a new car stereo, and I have to recommend AGAINST panasonic car stereos....unless you like fiddling thru menus to change the balance, the bass, treble, and yes.....volume--(what a load of experts)

Think about it H25, if I had to go in there and change out a potentiometer, would be met with at least for #0 easy strip phillips to begin with, an electric grade series of hexnuts that must be precisely located in the z-axis, and desoldering with a solder-sucker and/or piece of desoldering ribbon....then (first having to undo two or three more #0 phillips to remove the control board) carefully try to solder to the established wires with special electronics grade solder...all in all cocteau will spend more on stuff from Radiosnack than purchasing a new one from Walmart (god forbid)~

Best Answer

Yikes! I never thought it would be easy but greatgooglymooga

MINI engineers have lessened the choices, knowing the importance of keepin' your eyes on the road! to tactile-friendly controls, with eyes closed the volume knob is the first thing you find- there aren't any mp3 inputs because the mp3 disc player is brilliant! and who needs another clunky device to rattle around like peas in a can?

Have you never done any electronics work H25? like being a mechanic, only more necky-strainy- I've got the 'lectronics kit from when I worked at red's novelty repairing pinballs, video games and pool tables...didn't last too long there with the cocaine sniffers, but ended up buying ALL the pinball repair tools-

And yeah, on my Corolla all those settings, balance fade et al are a PITA done with one knob pushed, pulled turned

wax sentimental about analog devices...and really want to see pencil on vellum again...but it ain't gonna happen...something sexy about the intimacy of hand-lettering that is gone now...forevever...

Lots. But a long time ago, on airplanes, but most of it was remove and replace, not fix

kdecoteau, you still hangin' in there? this had to be an aftermarket stereo, like a Kragen, or Unic or Fujitzu Ten (if taken from a jap)...I'd inquire about what brand, but it wouldn't help, because you aren't going for the electronics repair solution...rather the replacement...so think about trying to control while busy watching the traffic coming to a screeching halt in front of you.

a few squirts of 'lectronics cleaner on the business side of the potentiometer could possibly salvage this pot--the stuff is kinda expensive from radioshack-

Hope, by cracky that your Potentiometer isn't considered "prohibited"-

90,025

The nice thing about a 2001 Ford F-150 radio is that owners take the OEM radio out and replace it with a new head unit. You can get stock radios cheap on eBay or at the scrap yard.

kraco....everyone had a kraco think this was kmart's house brand, not the famous monster the Kragen~