front end noise ,not wheel bearing. not constant. sounds like a rotation grind

60

Asked by Mar 27, 2017 at 10:30 AM about the 2001 Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 4WD SB

83,505

Front brake pads worn out.

60

No. It is a deeper sound.Sounds like a slower rotation than wheel

83,505

Front of the engine? Idler pulleys or a water pump? Or is it when you turn the steering wheel...

60

not engine related. Only when moving. At 20 mph it grinds around 1-2 seconds intervals and speeds up when I go faster

83,505

Sounds like it is in the driveshaft. Have the u-joints checked.

60

IT IS NOT A SQUEAK, IT IS A GRIND

83,505

You know, it can only be so many things, just take it into a garage to be looked at or get under there and check it out.

60

i REPLACED THE WHEEL BEARING AND HAVE BEEN UNDER THERE, THOUGHT YOU COULD GIVE ME OTHER IDEAS

23,310

Could the rotors on the front be warped? Pickups are good for warped rotors if lugs are tightened in excess of specs. At highway speed, if you apply the brakes you can usually feel the pulsation of a warped rotor.

60

it is not the rotors, it sounds like a shaft bearing of some type. slow rotation compared to the speed of the wheels rotation, like it is geared down.

83,505

So is the transmission shifting properly?

23,310

What a shop would do is place the vehicle on a lift, let the engine run in 2WD drive and 4 WD and see if they can locate the problem with the wheels turning off the ground. They could probably locate the problem at idle with no weight on the suspension if drive line related.

Best Answer Mark helpful
10

My 2018 F150 is doing the same thing, started at about 4000km. Sounds like metal on metal, like when you lose a brake pad. It shakes the whole truck. The dealer doesn't know what it is, keep telling me it must be stones between the caliper and the rim. Ford needs to get to the bottom of this, I know of three other 2018's doing the same thing.

90

We have a 2016 F150. The dealer service guy says Ford are aware of the issue (shaft bearing). We took it in 3 months ago and they greased it, that lasted around 7 weeks. Brought it back in, did it again. Went today and they are now replacing them (but told us the problem will re-occur until Ford figure this out. In my mind, we have been sold a faulty vehicle. I am not happy with having to go to the service shop every 8 weeks and drive a rental vehicle. I'm in shock that this has been a problem (apparently since 2011). Apparently the answer is for a sealed unit (sorry I am not mechanical) but Ford have not come up with the goods?

20

Thank you I am having the same noise. It is intermittent and really starts up after making a hard left turn. Is this safe to drive?

20

Guru59PLX Have you had any fix to this issue yet. I just took it to the dealer today and at the end of the day they said they really didn't know what to do. They greased something and cleaned off "excessive brake dust" (bunch of BS) and it still did it pulling away.

80

I have a 2015 F150 doing the same intermittent low dull grinding sound. Sounds like driver side. I changed the pads with no change in results. I usually hear it while slowing down but occasionally hear it going a steady pace. Never hear it going 35mph+.

20

Hey guys, this was definitely an issue with the IWE. The dealer ship had my truck a couple different times and didn't come up with a fix. After reading a few posts I took it in again and let them have it for a week. I told them I believe it has something to do with the IWE. It is exactly as you all describe it, grinding when going slow or turning and don't hear it at higher speeds. Also, it goes away when you shift into 4A or 4H 4L. They found that the vaccum line was loose on one side and it seems to have fixed the issue. We will see.

2015 F150 with similar issues. Dealer said to was the rotors were warped. They have now tried to correct three times and it comes and goes. Talked to a different rep at the dealer when leaving. He said it sounds like an common issue with the 4WD actuators. Ford is aware and will fix it but only if you push the issue. I have not had mine back it yet to correct. One note... whenever mine does it the gas mileage falls sharply.

Hub assembly. My front right went bad and the whole rim broke off. Only the caliper was holding the rotor. Changed it out 3 months ago. Now the left side is making the same noise.

10

I am having the same problem with my 2018 F-150. Limited 4 X4 (2 month old w/3,100 miles) I notice the rotational grinding after my vehicle sits for more than 6 hours. As soon as I put it in drive the noise starts under light acceleration and lasts anywhere from a few moments to a half mile of driving then stops. After reading this thread I am going to take it back to the dealership. Wish I would have read this thread first before dropping $50 G's. If this has been an ongoing problem with this model how did it ever make Truck of The Year???

It should be mandatory for Ford engineers to drive the vehicle for at least 1 year before releasing it for sale....

30

Looks like I am in the same boat as you all with my 2016 F-150 Lariat (30K miles). I have taken it in twice now. First time they said it was "normal" the second time they said it is was break dust and that they cleaned it - driving away the noise was immediately noticeable. Thinking of taking the issue to Facebook and calling them out! Like GuruYL6Z said, when we pay $50,000 for a truck, we expect simple things like not having it sounds like a wheel is going to fall off when braking

10

Same problem here. Dealer greased the bearings and no better. Front left. Grinding noise around 15-20 mph. Usually can hear it slowing down.

80

I had my front driver IWE replaced last week and the problem is gone. Its covered under drive train warrenty under 60k miles. From what I was told, the new IWE is an updated design and shouldn't happen again. A few guys at the dealership said they've changed hundreds of these IWEs in the new models.

30

After the third visit to Ford the problem is gone!! Of course, it was the IWE like most are mentioning here. If Ford doesn't believe you, switch your truck into 4 wheel for them. The noise will become even more apparent further suggesting they need to replace your IWE. I hope this helps everyone and thanks for the support!

My F150 is doing the same thing, however my Dealer said it was the Wheel Actuator and it was replaced at no charge, 3 months later am getting the same noise

It sounds like different people might be having different problems but I can speak to one. If you have 4wd and are getting a grinding noise clearly coming from around the wheels in 2wd it obviously is part of the IWE system. 9 times out of 10 it starts from a leak in one of the vacuum lines. It is a very cheap fix if you can narrow down where the leak is coming from. If you do not fix it early enough, you will grind down your hubs and have to start replacing more expensive parts. If you do not fix the vacuum leak you will continue with the same noise.

Had a 2015 Ford F150 Lariet 4X4. Changed 3 hubs before 32000 miles and finally a front differential bearing was going out. Traded it in for a 2018. Hope I don't have the same problem.