2002 Cavalier won't turn over

Asked by Oct 30, 2014 at 03:27 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS

I tired Starting my car and it won't turn over it sounds like it wants to. My battery light is
on. I got told it was my alternator so i just replaced that and still the same thing.

7,495

did you try jumping it

375

I agree. Try jumping it to see if it helps. Have the battery load tested to see if its weak. Check the positive and negative battery cables at the battery, starter, and engine for corrosion, frayed ends, or breaking. I all the checks out, the starter is probably weak and dragging. Remove it and have it bench tested.

I Haven't jumped it yet. i know that the starter i looked at it and seams really rusted by the black wire. one day i was driving the car and it was running just fine but didn't have power when pushing on the gas peddle i got it pulled over, and then the engine shut off. I tried starting it and it stayed running for maybe 15 seconds or so and it shut off and wouldn't start again.

just tried jumping the car and had a little more power but still won't turn over.

375

I would remove the starter and battery and have them tested to make sure that they are not the cause of your problems. If they are not, we need to look elsewhere.

sorry for writing back so late. being it's warmer i've had time looking at the car. The starter and battery are fine. Fuel pump kicks in as well. There is spark getting to the spark plugs. Not sure where else I need to look. It's frustrating being the car isn't starting.

ignition switch...?