is it my alternator?

20

Asked by Mar 22, 2012 at 10:10 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Base

my friend and i were driving in his 2002 chevy cavalier and we pulled into a parking lot and the car just died on us we tried jump starting the car the dash would light up for a second and thats it it would not start so today we thought it might be the battery so we charged it it was fine but when we turned the key the car would try to start but not turn over so we were wondering if it is the alternater and if so how much do they cost?

75

Was the battery that you tried putting into it charged? they are usually not when you buy them. If jumping the car didn't work it probably isn't the alternator. Post more details if you would like more diagnostic help.

12,475

I would start with battery. Use a battery tester. Next check battery connections also check battery post connector on end of battery wires. You can buy a battery voltage indicator that plugs into cigarette lighter. You should have over 12.3 volts with car not running and somewhere around 14 with car running.