While driving and braking all warning lights come on

80

Asked by Oct 15, 2010 at 11:25 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Base

while driving and braking, all warning lights come on, needles zero down and reajust themselves just like on start-up. also while braking, sometimes my radio will flicker on and off. also when pressing defrost button radio shuts off. battery was changed 2 months ago. checked alternator and it sems ok. voltage output is 14.2volts and 120-130 amps. checked basic grounds, seem ok but don't have shop manual to see where all body grounds are. has anyone every seen a problem like this and where can i start looking? thanks for the help!

90

I have the same problem on my 2002 cavalier. Once in a while all the lights will flicker on while I am driving and it will just power down. So far I have always been able to restart it when I pull over, but this is a really dangerous thing to be driving with. Did you figure out what was causing it?

80

yes i have found the problem. i had changed my battery ground wire and hadn't bolted down the ground wire to the body. the ground went from my battery to my engine but not from battery to body. check to see if your main battery ground isn't corroded like mine was at first. if everything seems ok, I suggest you try putting a jumper wire from the negative battery terminal and to the body. drive around and see if lights come on. hope it helps you out cause it did for me. good luck.

195

you computer is fine.....it's was your gound wire.....99.9% of cavaliers have the same problem....i've been a mechanic for over 10 years and have seen this problem very often.......

40

Can someone share wher the problem ground wire(s) might be?

tighten the battery terminals, and secure the battery so it doesnt move around.

have your computer scaned,sounds like it is bad.