HELP! Both headlights out at the same time!!

Asked by Jul 10, 2010 at 11:30 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Base

i have a 2002 chevy cavalier. just this evening i tried to go out and when i tried to turn my head lamps on, the only thing i got were my parking lights, and break lights. i put the car in drive and no daytime running lamps either, but the high beams do work. i turned the knob several times and still nothing so i shut the car off and after a moment started it up again. i turned the knob for the lights again and this time head, tail, and parking lights flashed rapidly and then i got a service light on the left side of the dash with the picture of a wrench. My head lights went out once before about a month ago, but while i was driving i was able to turn them on. i just recently had to install a new battery after 8 yrs and i believed the 1st headlight incident was a symptom of needing a new battery. is it just a bad coincidence that both headlights have gone out at the same time (i have never had to change a bulb since buying the car slightly used in '02 w/ 20,000 miles on it), or could it be something more?

4,965

my guess would be that there is something loose inside the headlamp switch or the low/high beam switch to cause not getting low beam. It is also possible that the Body Control Module could be faulty, assuming that it controls the lights.

10,475

Your headlamp switch when out. I had a similar issue with my 93 cavalier I had. Stopped at a gas station, turned the lights off, when I went to leave, they would not turn back on. Parking lights came on and I could use the high beams, but low beams did not work. Headlamp switch was bad.

265

Did your daytime running lamps still work?

3,105

check LT HDLP fuse 15a and RT HDLP 15a fuses on side of dash and there is a splice pack / ground that like to corrode on these cars located underneath the battery tray

265

Great, that's something I haven't thought of. But wouldn't the brights fail as well? Still have brights but have to hold lever down. The daylights work as well.

375

if u moving your switch and suddenly the light appears than its the switch if not it's likely to check under the battery the multi plug over there can be corrosion full

265

Thanks. It is the switch. When I hold it slightly the regular lights come on

375

so mark my answer best answer or helpful at least:)

265

Yea, I would, but we haven't received word from the woman with the actual problem. May not be the same thing

375

she probably sold the car already