02 Chevy Cav acting like it has no gas

15

Asked by Oct 29, 2015 at 06:50 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Coupe

My car has been acting as if there is no gas in it lately. Once in a while it will turn over, but it will not start. I have had to get under it and hit the gas tank a few times to start it back up. Then the other day I was driving down the road and it just died, as if it ran out of gas. Battery light came on, I wasn't strong enough to push the breaks down, and the power steering went out. I had to coast to a stop in a subdivision and throw it in park. Car since then has started right up but I am afraid to drive it now because I don't want to be on the toll road and have it just die again. Im looking into a fuel pump for it but am curious if there are any other options as to what this could be.

785

Classic back fuel pump... it might be blowing fuses too.

72,375

Does sound like a fuel issue. Have some one do a fuel pressure test on it, they should do a bleed down test to make sure injection system is not leaking also.

15

I am having the pressure test done on it tomorrow. Just to make sure. Thank you guys!!

68,725

You need a new fuel pump. HTH. -Jim