Superchargers and gas mileage?

5

Asked by May 31, 2008 at 04:05 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Camaro Base Coupe

i know most people get these things for power, and their driving habits tend to kill mileage, but what improvement could i expect in gas mileage if i supercharge my camaro and drive responsibly?

5

you still will not get good gas miliage but you might get a little better gas miliage

AS the owner of a t-bird SC which is scpercharged (factory) i get 30 MPG if driving right.you are loking at a expensiv changover,and can ONLY run 93 oct gas,any lower will blow it up.i suggest leaving as is and going with cold air induction.

35

its not going to blow up if he uses less then 93 octane, you can tune your car to run on a lower octane without major problems. a CAI is not an alternative to a SC they are in completely different things. if your not going to drive your SC car hard dont SC it.

mine is a factory sc,have you ever owned one i have for 4 years and yes i know what im talking about.yes you can tune it to run a lower oct fuel you will just not have the power or boost.from now on ,kindley stay out of my post.

25

with the way a super charger works you wont improve your millage in any way as they supply boost at all times which will hurt millage if you want performance and gas savings go with a turbo instead and just watch your revs and try to keep it out of boost for better millage.

145

um do you realize you just told him to turbo his car but dont run the car to where the turbo starts doing anything.....?

45

ok why do you plan to get a supercharger not race, u might get a little better gas miliage but not much, and if you say drive responsibly that means u aint going to put ur foot in it much less drag race

5

well for every unit increase in mpg (19-20) i can get between 12 and 18 gallons out of a tank. the greater the mpg rating the less improvement it takes to get to the next higher level of efficiency. given the price of gas i want to get as much out of each full tank of gas i can get. besides racing improves my chances of wrecking my car and getting a ticket neither of which i want.

45

I'll tell you what I know, I rented a basic Grand Prix 2 years ago on a trip. I had it for a week and was very happy with the avg 28mpg I got with let's call it enthusiastic driving habits. I liked the car so much that I decided to buy one, but for my own personal car the basic wouldn't do. I opted for the GT package which in '06 included the supercharged engine (same displacement). This almost put me off of getting the GT as I knew the mileage would suffer because of the supercharger. I eventually got the GT with the supercharged engine and get about 22mpg around town and 27mpg on trips and that's driving like my grandfather. So long answer short... worse mileage. As for the lower octane discussion, after doing some research I found that the only detriment to running lower octane is performance and the possibility of early detonation leading to knocking... not blowing up. If you run the low grade and hear it knocking anytime while driving (more likely during engine load) then you need to step up to the better stuff. Simple rule to live by no matter what you have under the hood. I run 89 without problems however I'm thinking about running the better stuff. After all with the price of gas lately what's an extra 5-10 cents per gallon... That's less than $2 a tank for better performance.

35

you said it would blow up! that is wrong on so many levels owning a SC car and knowing how it works are different things. I have had an ipod for 6 years that doesnt mean i know how it works. someone asks for advice i thought i was important to give them correct information instead of stroking your ego.

105

I've read that the difference between octanes isn't as great as the difference between high quality and discount gas meaning you could probly run lower octane with something like Shel and be ok and have bad affects from doing it with discount gas

45

Gas milage wont be hurting if driven right with a proper motor to run lower octane that depends on the compression ratio on the motor

5

Id supercharge it, just for kicks.you aren't going to get horrible gas mileage and yet you will have power in reserve.look at it this way, once you go to sell it, some punk will see that it's supercharged and you will make a quick buck when trying to dump it. And owning a thunderbird is a crime, putting a ford in a Chevy conversation should be illegal. Lol