Need more POWER!

395

Asked by Jul 18, 2008 at 09:22 PM about the 1994 Ford F-150 XLT Extended Cab LB

I have the 302 (5.0) V8 in my 1994 Ford F-150, and i want more HP and torque. What should i start with if i'm on a budget? And if i'm not on a budget what should i do?

not to much on a truck unless you want to spend $$$$$.

395

My thoughts were an intake and exhaust. Will those help much?

95

I'd start with a computer upgrade, then go with dual exhaust and cold-air intake upgrades. Then again, you could always go all out and bore and stroke it. Depends on how much budget you plan to put into it.

395

Thanks for the advice, hopefully pretty soon i'll have done some of those things, thanks.

50

swith your gears in the rearend its cheap and if u know how to do its cheeper than doing a computer upgrade

55

agreed gears in the rear, Intake and or exhaust will give some power. Anything will be costly. other than that turbo or supercharge it. Easier said than done though.

15

If you put on a CAI and a dual exhaust it would be good idea to get it retuned.

395

What do you mean change the gears?

50

They are prob talking about Cat Back Duel Exhaust, that would barly give you much more power.. prob wouldn't really notice it, and a cold air kit might give you 5 to8 horse power on that moter. The computer upgrade would be the best, but what I would do would be pull out the old 302 and drop in a Ho.... so personally I think the computer upgrade.. but thats me...

40

headers and intake. i've got a K&N CAI on my '94 bronco along with a throttle body spacer. some guys swear by them, others say they're pointless, but what the hell. headers will give you more power than the stock exhaust manifolds do. punch out your catylitic converters, they don't run emissions on our trucks anymore. tuning a '94 OBD 1 computer, which we have, is extremely difficult nowadays, and it won't need a retune if all you do is intake and exhaust, anyhow. if you've got the ford 8.8 inch rearend, you're running 3.55 gears. swap them out for 4.56s, and you'll get gobs more pulling power, but less top-end speed. you could look into doing a high-output upgrade (heads, cam, pistons, intake manifold, and computer).

15

LOL If you dont already have an electric fan, get one your wont get much more hp though. Just a thought.

395

Hey, thanks a bunch for the help.

55

simple upgrades like a k&n air filter, throttle body spacer, and a tornade fuel saver can add hp and torque. then for big upgrades, go for headers, and exhaust. (i prefer flowmaster)

45

start with a k@n factory filter and some hotter spark plugs. a free flowing muffler like a glasspack

495

i own a 1995 f150 w/ 5.0l. i put in true duals, H-pipe, long tube headers, K&n intake and filter, and a performance computer chip... with the chip i bumped the timing 20 degrees before TDC(with premium only) i noticed instantly more power, im running 6" lift, 35" mudders, stock gears and i can squawk the tires where before i couldnt even get the truck to budge

395

At what point did you have to start using premium? These things are beasts when it comes to gas, and filling up with premium isn't an option for me

495

when i put the chip in...i was living at an extremely high altitude(10k ft, 4wheeled around 11.5k ft) and i was looking for every bit of power i could get from it for the 4wheeling trails... you can run the chip without premium, its just recommended. i ran from colorado to florida on regular, had it on 10 degrees b4 tdc... you might have to play with the timing to find that sweet spot if you run regular. just dont let the engine detonate(ping.) i have mine set at 22 degrees b4 tdc...

50

what performance chip did you get for your truck? i too have a 95 f150 with a 5.0L V8 but I can't find any chips for it. Plus I think I have a OBD1 port so I have no idea how I could connect it

30

Bigger intake manifold , bigger pushrods, rocker arms, bigger exhuast manifold and alotta this you can find at a junkyard just look for em or go to Ford ask a mechanic i mean people on here know there stuff but id look for a master mechanics answer

120

buy a new truck

roush cold air intake. flowmaster 3" pipes with no mufflers or cats. a single glasspack aftermarket fuel injectors. msd flamethrower ignition and distributer. hotter plugs and wiring. bbk or hooker headers. and a posi track 9" rear end. fairly cheap and a VERY noticable power increase

20

Fords main problem is air flow though the engine so I would open up the intake, cold air intake, headers ( buy shortys off a 93 mustang), ALUMINUM HEADS WITH 2.02 INTAKE AND 1.60 EHAUST VALVES, openup the exhaust. My 1991 f150 5.0L has underdrive pulley kit, and that helped a little. but you also need a sligtly larger cam. Fords are known for having small factory cams. Do all this and yo will be happy. Im in the process of doing all this.

20

My IQ just decreased... long tube headers, TFS twisted Wedge 180 heads, roller rockers, upgraded springs and rods. Not enough? Then a cam, and maybe later bore it.

20

But yes gears are awesome for low end, turns 38s like nobody's business (in a 1500 that is)

10

I haves a 96 extended cab iams fixing up n i lives in virginia. I failed inspection for i needs n exhaust system in it . Ives decided id like dual exhaust on it .. any suggestion on the best way to do it . Ives gots to hace converters also.ives been told i can just gets by with the small 1s on the back ..

10

O n by the way my motor is the 5.8 351 windsor

10

So I have an 89 f150 5.0. I plan on doing heads, headers, true duels, cam, intake, and that's about it. What horsepower am I looking at and will it break my tranny or rear end??? Also I'm thinking about switching to 4:10's I have the 8.8 rear end right now so that's a 3.55.

10

Exhaust is included with the headers.

10

Don't Google truck parts Google mustang parts From 89 to 93 it will fit your truck I have a 1994 f150 my drive train from the motor to the rear end is the something as a mustang I had the same problem till I was told what to look for I can put a turbo or supercharger on my truck

10

whattttt what all did you swap with mustang parts on your truck?

10

so this will swap on just fine on my 91 f150 302? http://www.protuninglab.com/89fomu5v8gtl1.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=140851311418

10

or this 90 mm tb or a 75 mm ? http://www.americanmuscle.com/90mm-race-throttle-body.html

76,715

Look up budget builds for 302's online. You can get 400 hp for around a grand if you can do the work yourself.

If it's got the EFI I'd take it off and change it over to a 4 Barrell carb with short tube headers and some hot plugs and wires that will help alot