My ford f150 1993 is losing power. changed fuel filter did not make a difference. Am getting ready to put in new throttle positioning sensor. will that help

40

Asked by Dec 03, 2014 at 09:28 PM about the 1993 Ford F-150 S 4WD LB

My ford f150 just started losing power going up hills. changed fuel filter. now it won't idle.
getting ready to put in new throttle positioning sensor. will that help? or should I be looking
at something else?

5,375

If it happened all of a sudden, how about some bad gas like with moisture in it? Did it happen shortly after buying gas?

40

no I dont think it was shortly after buying gas. been 2 weeks now so cant reallly remember but don't think so.

5,375

Losing power and not running properly at low speeds, but decent at higher speeds could also be a sign of a vacuum leak. A weakened coil will let your vehicle run, but like crap because the plugs will generally be fouled.

40

It is not running at higher speeds either. but will look into that. would that mean I need new plugs.

5,375

Not really. Fouled plugs can also mean something else is not well. The plugs can be cleaned, regapped and used again.

40

ok I have someone working on it.He started with the fuel filter then he said the code told him it had an eratic idle is why he is going to try the throttle positioning sensor in the morning. But hes really not sure what is causing the problem. I will pass on your information to him tomorrow. thank you for your help. will let you know how it all turns out.

40

You know I just remembered I think I did get gas that day on the way to work and then thats when it started acting up. So if that is the case what would fix the problem?

5,375

There is stuff out there like "Heet" to try to help with moisture in gas, but I've tried them and the car will run, but still not so great. These days I'll just take out my gas cans and siphon all the gas out and buy fresh. I'll use the bad gas for lawn mowers, pressure washer, leaf blower, etc.

19,390

Before you begin throwing money at electronic components may I suggest the following: If the vehicle has not been tuned up in a while do so. And change the wires. Use motorcraft parts particular to your vehicle. You'll spend a few more bucks, but get better results Invest in a digital multi-meter and a service manual particular to your vehicle. Now look up the meter readings for all the parts you believe may be defective. Perform the test function outlined in the repair manual relative to resistance/voltage for the various suspected parts. Replace those not within specs. You'll save the cost of the meter and manual as soon as you replace a part that is not defective. And you'll still have the meter and manual.

40

I will siphon out the old gas and replace with new see if that helps. and in response to OJ I did have a tune up done on truck a year ago. but will try that next

5,375

It wouldn't hurt to drop just a gallon of premium gas in the truck.

5,375

Like OJ mentioned a multimeter is invaluable for checking wires whether for voltage or continuity and meters are cheap. A vacuum gauge is also very good for checking vacuum leaks or the amount of vacuum will guide you to problems. All the vacuum gauges I have also are set up to measure fuel pressure and they can be had for less than $20.

19,390

Before you purchase anything check the condition of the plugs and check the gap. Motorcraft ignition wires (spark plug) have a resistance of 5000 ohms per foot. A two foot wire would have 10K ohms. Check the wires first. Check the coil next with the multimeter. Get a Haynes or Clinton Manual for your vehicle. The specs for all electronics are normally provided along with the procedure to check them.

40

ok so the throttle positioning sensor did the trick. I drove it all day and it is running fine. thank you for all your suggestions. will use them in the future cause thiings always go wrong with an older truck like this. thank you so much for all your help. very much appreciated.

40

thank you ytlas

10

My truck is a 2002 it has new engine new transmission everything is new but I don't have power on the hill what can it be