I might buy a 1992 Ford F-150 for my first truck.

5

Asked by Apr 09, 2013 at 06:44 AM about the 1992 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat LB

Its a single cab 4x2 with with the 5.8 and the automatic trans. I'd like to know if its a good truck or not. Seems like its been baby'd and only has 121k miles with 2 owners, the most significant thing done on it was a new streering colom do to a ignision problem. Yay or Ney?

Man, you don't say what the asking price is, so I won't go there and deal with that part. But as for a 1992 Ford truck, it is far better than a Dodge, about the same quality or better as Chevy, (I would pick the Ford, I have a 1978 with unknown miles, far more than 200,00, the speedometer cable broke , they used mechanical spinning cables back then, broke at what shows as 23,550 but those odometers rolled over to zero at 99,999, I never fixed it. GET A CARFAX!!! but if the price is right a definite YAY from me

That 5.8 L is the 351 Winsdor...in my opinion the V8 Ford Windsor motor family is one of the best engines produced by the Ford Motor Company. Especially the 5.0L or 302 ..but that 351cid is a proven motor. I have one in my truck, of course the older version with a carburetor. It is tagged Windsor because that is where it was first produced, Windsor, Ontario, Canada. Then the engine manufacturing plant was moved to Cleveland Ohio. But that is just where the "Windsor" part comes from to identify the engine family. They even still make them. available from Ford as a crate motor, but not used in new cars or trucks, having been replaced by the 4.6 Modular. They are very popular boat engines, but are not interchangeable because the marine application turns in the opposite direction and has a different crankshaft, the oils splines in the end of the crank where it passes out of the block through the front main seal being tapered 'backward' to force to oil in to the engine instead of pushing it out.

Do you mind if I ask how much you are paying?

5

About 2500 hundred

Deal. take it! morning Josh, morning DavidH25~

Yep, I agree with the Judge. Snatch it. But before you do, only get the carfax to make sure it's not ever been wrecked really bad. If it's a dealer, demand it free. If it's a private party deal. it costs $40 but it is money well spent, and when you do. it only takes a few hours or less to get it. $2500 is just about right. But make an offer of, oh, say, $2300 and see if they are firm. And good morning Judge..!! I will be right back I need to restart my computer it's really slow. I mean REALLY slow and the cooling fan is running, it seldom does that

So anyeay Josh, go for it. And way better. I ran a speedtest and was getting 6kbs download speed, restarted computer, unplugged and took battery out of modem and ran another test and now get 34kbs and fan not running.

even got 50

yes DavidH25, we can start pullin' it apart, like a nose up the tailpipe detecting coolant, oil, a high degree of carbon, worn, smells like a '57 chevy (actually couldn't 'cause ethyl) ,clean white moisture laden easy to breathe exhaust...The interior. having had two owners, someone's spilled a cappucino, eaten some fries, smoked a cigar, wore aggressive whore-ish perfume, rode 300 miles in their socks...smells can definitively be a deterrent, but if you're gonna be haulin' loads of topsoil, and chicken manure, none of that means beans~

cannot recommend the three margarita solution.

have you notice an accelerated .GIF advertising just "hep ye self" to MY processor time....well I never!

Well I can't say 'well i never'..but it's been a looooooong time

18,850

Twenty five hundred is no money. Besides, trucks are easy to work on, usually. Even if you have to drop in a reman engine, you are only in 5G's for a 20 plus year old truck which will probably last another twenty years. BUT, BUT No rust buckets.

$2.5k is a lot to me my friend, OJ. But your point is taken. true. My '78 is still up and runnin' and starts first time everytime. 35 years later.

I had a 1990 F-150 with a 302 V-8 the engine was fine but had problems with steering box leaking, rear bearings leaking, front wheel bearings wearing out fast and the fuel pump needed replacement every 60,000 miles like clockwork. A rear leaf spring broke on me- The drivers door became worn and would not close good. The "Metric" transmission needed a rebuild twice in 298,000 miles.