92 f150 does not charge

Asked by Feb 22, 2012 at 06:28 PM about the 1992 Ford F-150 XL 4WD LB

I have put in a new starter, alt. selinoid now it wont charge. Also I put new starter switch in. When I put the starter in I thought the battery was disconnected, it was't and when I was pulling the starter out the wrench hit the wires on the starter, arch. Everything is brand new but it's not charging. It drains the jump box and I notice the amp gauge goin lower, hope someone can help, thanks

165

did you put the alt feed wire back in the right place on the starter celnoid...

55

I would Start with the fuses and relays, if not there then check to see if there is a short in the power line from the alt to the batt. same with the power from starter. it sounds like you have a situation where power is being fed into something quite possibly the frame of the vehicle. start with the basics first. if its none of those go somewhere and have your Diagnostic Trouble Codes or DTCs read. ie autozone or dealer or autoshop

115

BY LETTING IE ARCH YOU MAY HAVE BLOWN THE REGULATOR INSIDE THE ALTERNATOR, TAKE IT TO ADVANCE AUTO OR AUTO ZONE THEYCAN CHECK IT

I replace the alternator, new and still no charge

115

yes but you said the wrench made contact with starter wire and arched this could have burnt the regulator in the new alternator

165

I would guess it might be something simple like the alternator not being plugged in. make sure you look at the little spade connectors are the straight out, not bent over or pushed in(cheap rebuilt junk) and not making contact when plugged in, look for any damaged wires near the plug, i had one with a broken wire with insulation over it, or a missed wire that didnt get hooked up.

55

non charging battery could also mean A) simple: bad battery or B) you have a voltage drop aka resistance somewhere causing power loss or C) blown PCM, ECM ect. Best bet is to have your car tested by a mechanic in person there honestly is only so much advice anyone can give on the general issue but if none is right it is then a problem that is SPECIFIC to your vehicle.

The old alt was in when I pulled out the old starter. I put the new starter in and thats when the no chargin thing started. So then I tried a new selinod, still no charge, then starter switch then alt, nothing

the connection to chassis ground is "dodgy"~

I also am having the exact same problem I replaced the alternator starter solenoid the battery all the fuses and relays I'm just going to re wire my charging harness just in case corrosion was the problem