Why would the alternator on my 1992 Ford 150 feel warm to the touch?
Yesterday the battery warning light on the dash came on. Also, I noticed that the
volt/charging meter went all the way to the right (high). Then it would go back to normal
(middle position on the gauge) and then back to high. I parked it overnight but today I
decided to take the alternator off and have it checked. That is when I found the alternator
slightly warn to the touch.
Should have the alternator and regulator tested buy a qualified shop. Where I live, they do these things for free.
An alternator is a simple motor which generates electricity. There are spinning part on the inside. It will get hot like any other motor when running. Check your battery while you're at it. Keep in mind the purpose of an alternator it to keep the battery charged, not charge a dead or dying battery. Most alternators made today have electronics in them. Trying to charge a dead or dying battery can actually destroy the alternator.
Search Ford F-150 Questions
Are you a UK consumer? CarGurus now has a discussion forum in the UK.
Ford F-150 Experts