why won't my truck start?

Asked by Jul 19, 2014 at 11:22 AM about the 1992 Ford F-150 S Extended Cab LB

truck ran fine let it sit for 4 months now it tries to start but won't also replaced fuel pump

185

Gas left in an engine for that long without a stabilizer break down and could gel in the fuel delivery system- usually the jets or fuel lines. Starting fluid might help start the but is dangerous to use because of the damage it could cause to the engine. Check the fuel condition and fuel lines for clogged jets, etc.

160

My battery was low one time on my 1992 F-150 and Itried tojumpstart it. It would crank over but would not start or even fire. Checked all the usual places, replaces the solinoid, ignition switch, key set, nothing worked. Then a guy at the junk yard suggested I check the coil wire coming in from the ignition switch. No voltage from switch to coil when I turned on the ignition and cranked it over. He suggested I may have fried something and said to run a wire directly from the battery to the coil to see if it would work. I did just that and crank the engine over and it started right up. So now I have a wire running from my battery to a on/off switch on my dash board and the wire from the switch goes directly to the coil. I just put the switch in the on position before I use the key to crank it over and it starts fine. And the switch acts as a cut off switch so no one can steal the truck. don't know why the wire from the battery won't make it thru the ignition switch. But it runs now. Check the Battery side of your coil to see if you are getting voltage when you turn the ignition on. No voltage = no spark.

160

There is an electrical plug on the side of the coil with (2) wires coming out of it. disconnect the plug . get a tester and stick the probe into one wire of the plug, turn the ignition switch on and then connect the tester to ground. If the tester lights, you are getting 12 vt. to the coil, If not , test the other wire the same way. if the tester doesn't light, you are not getting 12 vt. to the coil and the spark plugs will not fire.

735

When weather changes so do the way cars act. Put computer on it

735

Water condensation. (I let my truck sit up for four months) there you go..get rid of the water dry gas. Even drain gas before you start.full tank high octane fresh gas.spray a little starter fluid.

nicecars12 - does that mean you should NOT use dry gas, and if I did, that should be removed?