Fan Clutch Code P1481

10

Asked by Sep 22, 2016 at 11:04 AM about the 2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS

I have a 2003 Trailblazer LS. I was sitting idle the other day and noticed the temperature gauge was over 210 degrees and the a/c was blowing hot air and the service engine light came on. Shut the truck off while I was sitting there and then started it back up and when I did that the temperature came down a few degrees and as long as I left the air off. When I got it home I looked at the fan and it wasn't running at all. A friend of mine pulled a code  and stated it might be the fan clutch so I bought one of those and put it on and the fan kicked on for a few minutes then went back off he put his computer on it and stated that it was pulling a code of P1481 and the fan isn't doing anything now. Any suggestions on what it might be?

99,865

Its the cooling fan speed sensor that needs to be replaced...

90,425

Condition Some customers may comment that the Service Engine Soon (SES) or Check Engine light is illuminated. This condition may be intermittent and upon investigation, the technician may find either DTC P0480, P0526, P1481 or P1484 set. Cause This condition may be caused by the cooling fan harness chaffing against the plastic guide it routes through. This contact may damage the insulation of the wires enclosed in that harness. Correction Replace the engine cooling fan harness using the procedure listed below. Remove the cooling fan. Refer to the Cooling Fan and Shroud Replacement procedure in the Engine Cooling sub-section of SI. Place the cooling fan assembly on a bench. Disconnect the harness electrical connector from the cooling fan clutch. Remove the harness from the plastic guide while feeding the wires out of the slot. Before installing the new harness, wrap the affected area on the wires with electrical tape to keep the protective sleeve in place. Be sure to keep the tape approximately 25 mm (1 in) away from the connector so the wires can be fed into the slot. Feed the wires into the slot and install the harness to the plastic guide. Connect the harness electrical connector to the cooling fan clutch. Install the cooling fan. Refer to the Cooling Fan and Shroud Replacement procedure in the Engine Cooling sub-section of SI. Parts Information Part Number 89024920 Right out of the GM TSB

99,865

sensor

10

Ok thanks....I will let my tech know

10

He said we have replaced all that and the fan isn't coming on and the code is still coming up

10

How accurate is this If the fan clutch has been replaced and the service engine light is still on and the suv is still running over 210 when sitting idle and the air conditioner is on? Someone told me it might be the thermostat and someone else told me it that it was the following statement If the vehicle is running hotter than 210 degrees and you open the hood and the fan is not turning is more than likely going to be electrical. The fan is controlled through the ECM engine control module the ECM may not be sending a signal once the vehicle reaches operating temp two-step the fans speed up