Replaced broken TPS and the idle surges now?

10

Asked by Jul 01, 2011 at 04:58 PM about the 1997 Ford E-150 STD Econoline

I replaced the TPS after the diagnostic showed it was faulty and it tested bad. Now
the idle surges, though it didn't do that before. I have a misfiring 6th cylinder as well
and i'm not sure if it has anything to do with it or what I should do next. I could
really use some help, thanks

the misfire will affect idle,first thing that needs to be done is figure out what is causeing the misfire,bad plug wires,bad spark plugs,pull num 6 plug see if oil fouled,if so you can get a oil extension that goes on spark plug then put back in motor,is called a oil fouler,replace all plugs.check all wires also.

175

Im not 100% but I know on Dodges with the Cummins motor, you do actually have to reset the throttle position sensor periodically. And thats because it tells the computer where the throttle is at and the computer adjust fuel, etc. But I would look for possible vacuum leaks. And check to make sure the TPS is seated where its supposed to. And, quite possibly, the number six cylinder may be the most direct cylinder to the throttle body through the intake and there could be a vacuum leak that is either pulling or pushing too much air to that cylinder. I have heard of that causing a misfire in one cylinder but Ive never heard of it from a ford.

10

Thanks for the speedy replies! I fixed the misfire, just a wire. The TPS is in a set position, so that's not it. I've been told to drive it for 20 miles and let the CPU recalibrate the TPS, so I'll try that, then check the vacuum hoses. Thanks again