1992 Ford E-150 Conversion Van

Asked by May 04, 2011 at 05:55 PM about the 1992 Ford E-150 XLT Club Wagon

Hello,
        This is my grandma's wheelchair lift van. Recently van sputtered at the traffic light and also runs not smooth and a kind of hesitate. So i took it to my mechanic and he replaced all spark plugs and plug wires, but still the same. Any of you please let me know if you know FORD specialist in Los Angeles area? I live in West Covina, CA in Los Angeles. Please help, i would like to send to Ford specialist only.

sounds like cam position sensor, take it to a trusted shop and have it tested

Hello Jeff, Thanks so much for your info. Do you know any place does Ford in Los Angeles? Cam position sensor be read or scanned by computer?

with the gas today,not worth a hoot,put a can of seafome fuel injector cleaner in a tank of gas,I know you got the throttle body,it will clean it to,or get a can of carb cleaner,remove airfilter,crank,let idlespray the inside really good,what happends with the TB,after time carbon will build up around the butterfly or the flat ring inside it and cause this same problem,just throttle it while spraying,it may smoke,this is normal.also replace the pcv valve.

Hello Papa, Highly appreciate your advise, i will try this weekend. Trying to understand your instruction, you meant remove air filter, and crank?(what's the crank?), can i still start the engine without those parts? Also TB meant throttle body? Thanks again for your instructions and really appreciated it.

crank engine with air filter off,spray carb cleaner into throttle body,give it gas while spraying or it will die on you,it will try to stall out,keep giveing it gas with hand on throttle linkage,you will see the black carbon build up inside,it builds up around the butterfly,the round part inside that opens when you give it gas.the carbon builds up around it and will not let it close all the way.it acts like a vac leak and causes this same problem you are haveing.with todays sorry gas it is a good idea to do this every 6 months.on your reply,crank.start engine is the same thing,yes it will start with air filter off.

Thanks so much for your detail explanations. It helps out alot. I will definately try that this weekend and give you an update. Thanks again for helping out people.

20

I bought a 92 ford e 150 conversion van a few yrs back and ended up dropping around $3000 trying to fix it, but we did get it! I had the problem of stalling/hesitating at the most inconvienent times with a van full of kids in the winter! But anytime my dad or a mechanic was looking at it, the darn thing was perfect. Grrr! The mechanic two blocks from me looked at it many times and thought it was great I drove it home and stalled it (he took it around town and it was perfect). I ended up taking it to my uncle (a mechanic) and he messed with it, after getting frusterated he found there was some recall from Ford few years back that was giving me the problem. So after a new air filter, messing with the timing, new battery, plugs/wires... you name it, the beast was fixed. I guess to save time and money I would try to locate the old recalls from Ford for this model and start there! Good Luck!

10

thanks Jennifer for your suggestion, if i can't fix by the other gentleman's advise, then i will definately take it to Ford dealer. I can't get rid off this van as this is for our disable grandmother and van has wheelchair lift, so maintaining is the only option. Thanks again for your suggestion.