I have a 1995 f250 and the front tank don't work. I checked my fuel pump fuse and relay and the switch in the right kick panel with the red button. I have power to and from that switch. I just changed the fuel selector switch in the dash board,. Still don't work. What's funny is when I unplugged the fuel switch in the dash and plugged it back in the tank worked until i parked it for a while. Can anybody help me?

Asked by Apr 16, 2016 at 04:48 PM about the 1995 Ford F-250 2 Dr XLT Standard Cab LB

There could be different causes for the symptoms you describe. A fuel pump might run erratically when nearing failure or due to gummy fuel deposits. Contacts in the tank selector switch (even a new switch can fail), or corroded wiring contacts in harness plug-ins can stop power from reaching the pump. A wire that is broken but the ends still intermittently touch can cause erratic pump operation. You didn't say if the rear tank can be used without a problem. Knowing that would help direct any suggestions about what to check to troubleshoot your problem. When the ignition switch is turned on (not far enough to cause the starter to engage), the pump in the selected tank should run for a few seconds and then stop. It is possible to hear the pump at that time if it is running. If there is no noise, the pump isn't running; but that doesn't indicate why. A volt/ohm meter (VOM) can be used to check the continuity/ resistance in a wire, or through contacts in a switch, the pump, or wiring connections in a circuit. It is more effective to use a VOM in conjunction with a wiring diagram but, if you are not knowledgeable in the use of a VOM and reading wiring schematics, it would be prohibitive to try to describe here how to use them. Perhaps the most direct thing to do, if not using a VOM, is to visually inspect the wiring, and disconnect and reconnect the plug-in connectors and the switch. I've never tried it but a suggestion I've heard a couple times is to bang on the tank with a soft hammer, or place a piece of wood on the tank and hit it with a hammer, at the same time the ignition switch is turned on to power the pump. If fuel deposits are causing a problem, jarring the tank might help dislodge the pump. That shouldn't hurt anything, even if it doesn't help, except to dislodge some dirt from the underside of the truck to fall into your eyes; so be careful if you try it. I realize this isn't very specific information. If you are familiar with using VOMs and wiring schematics, please reply to that effect and more specific information can be provided.