1995 f250 New battery drains when parked..why?

Asked by Apr 06, 2013 at 03:12 PM about the 1995 Ford F-250 2 Dr XLT Extended Cab LB

Battery kept going dead. Installed New battery. Battery goes dead while parked a few days, Why?

your auxilliary light, in the cab? back seat? would suggest the trunk 'cept you haven't got one....well this light is on, could it be the underhood light? It's got to be a light, somewhere. Look when it's dark outside all storage spaces and lit areas with a 'courtesy' switch on them. If you cannot find a light will have to experiment by removing fuses~

If you have an aftermarket alarm, disable that first for one night.

Best Answer

If the above suggestions do not stop the drain, check out this video: How To Perform a Parasitic Draw Test - EricTheCarGuy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0 --- Tracing down automotive electrical problems can be tough with the way everything is interconnected. The test can help you narrow down the suspects.

the glovebox switch---because you cannot see that it has not turned itself off~

Found out that a switch was added that turns off the battery current as a theft deterrent. If left on it drains the battery! Had I known I could have saved the cost of a new battery. Thanks for the tip..that saved me the cost a mechanic.

DavidH25 is ahead of the game!~

Wait, What? The alarm system drains the battery if it's left on? I don't think that is the normal mode of operation. Maybe something is wrong with it. -- Good call goes to David however!

Really TS. what good is it if you can't park it with the alarm on and have to worry about it draining the battery?

Are you secure, now~..with a dead battery? how was he able to verify that the glovebox light switch was working properly? that's what I'd like to know~

guess you could push it with your thumb, and see if it turns the darned thing off~

did not know the F-250 was a hot little number for mister five fingers, there is probably a lot to learn on the subject of "easily stolen" vehicles~