repair 03 tracker

Asked by Sep 24, 2016 at 08:03 PM about the 2003 Chevrolet Tracker Base 4WD

my 03 tracker stopped, while I was at a red light. I
tried to start it and it only makes a whurly sound.
someone please help

I have a question, 03 Tahoe water leak to the left of water pump. A mechanic tells me it's the pump but seems to be right under the thermostat. He quoted me $437.00 and said he'd replace both the pump and thermostat. I looked pretty hard and there are no leaks under the pump. Can anyone help. I do lose eater when it's running. Thanks

Water I lose water.

10,220

Tahoe_03 please start you own question, click on ask a question. Now that twigs question shows its been answered once it may not get the attention it deserves to get their question answered. You can and should as you are the only one that can delete your two post please.

OK I'm back, still with the tracker, the fan turns and all the belts turn when trying to start it, it seems like I hear a spinning noise after I try to start it coming from the left side if your looking into the motor, would the starter or alternador make that noise

10,220

May just be the starter continuing to spin.

does that mean the starter should do that or not

will the fan turn and all the belts if the timing chain is broke

10,220

The timing belt/chain turns the cam and the external belts in-turn spin too because they are connected to the crank pulley. As far as the starter if the starter is not engaging it can spin without turning the motor but since it is turning the motor and you hear it afterwards it must be working. If it disengages early and just spins then it may be showing signs that it is worn or going out but in your case the motor is spinning and will not start so there is some other issue that needs repaired first. You can pull the timing chain cover and see if its broken. You can also pull the valve covers to see if the heads are operating but this could leads to damage if its the timing chain broke. One time on a 4 cyl motor I had the cam lobes popped off and it spun over very fast and sounded like you stated above, It is rare but did happen to me once, I had to put a new cam in it. But if chain is broke would be the same result, super fast turn over with no resistance. Without any more info I would check to be sure you have spark and fuel, and if there is no odd sounds from it pull valve covers to see it the top end is working to start out with. If its turning over real slow, check why, like bad battery, starter, engine binding up (bent rods, broke timing chain, hydrolocking ect), Of course always check all fuses, grounds to frame, locate and repair shorts. Test sensors and scan for codes if check engine light is on.