my 1994 ford clubwagon van is ideling very rough and surges while driving

Asked by Feb 03, 2014 at 02:28 PM about the 1994 Ford E-350 XL Club Wagon Passenger Van Extended

it idles rough and surges like ok then bad ok then bad

you might check the integrity of the fuel pressure regulator....often times these are eaten up by benzene in the gas (TECHRON) and if the black butyl rubber is used will degrade inside of ten years....check the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator and replace with silicone rubber if dry and cracked~....and check the fuel pressure regulator for normal operation with some suction~

okay you've got a little diddy called the Idle Air Control....you might want to check to see this one isn't all varnished up at the business end~ https://www.google.com/#q=1994+ford+club+wagon+idle+air+control&tbm=s hop&spd=13661261265296269881

and the electrical connection there to see how many ohms or if it's an open or shorted....also check the fuses to see if any of the ENGINE compartment ones are blown~

Is there a engine light ? also look for vacuum leaks, maybe spray with carb cleaner on areas and if the idle goes up while spraying its vacuum... easy and inexpensive ....

yes my chk engine light is on but it was on before this event. can the idle air controller be causing the rpm to go slowly up and back down again over and over ?

yes it could...and a lot of other thing to; they have a cleaner that might help...also try some fuel cleaner.... also inspect for dry rotted vacuum lines...

I am still trying to describe it properly while idling it goes up up then down then i gas it and it slowly through all the rough gas no gas gas no gas this is holding the gas down it slowly increases in speed . the first day i added chevron fuel injection cleaner.

how long since a tuneup?

about a week its something with the fuel mix ?

was it running like this before the tuneup?

also what motor?