2001 ford explorer sport trac brake, hazard, turn lamps out!

30

Asked by Sep 14, 2013 at 11:13 AM about the 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD Crew Cab

Lamps Out...'01' sport trac...every thing wz working fine until 3 or 4 days ago. Now, Suddenly,  No Stop Lights, Hazards or Turn Signals!  
I think I have checked every thing I can. Bulbs...O.K.  All fuses...O.K..  
Hardly NO Info. in the "owners manual".
2 local parts stores treated me like a D.A. for even walking in to ask a question & for help.
This has trailer package...But NO Trailer "pig-tail"; so I have not checked out that part.
I know the signals, brake lamps, and hazards "are all the same thing" {at least they used to be}.  Is there any one with info on this sudden loss of Lamps?
Running lamps, interior, & dash lamps all seem to be working fine.
Is this from one of those "relays" burning out?  Is this something the A.H. at Auto Zone could of easily checked; if he wznt' going on his ciggi break?
Please help if possible...patty.

26,245

Ok, A few different issues here: FIRST - the people you meet at retail parts store are CLERKS - they know nothing about cars except for what they've heard and what the computer in front of them tells them. SECOND: the Trailer Tow Package is actually equipment on your vehicle that is heavier duty to accommodate trailer towing - Higher capacity radiator, alternator and battery - you can purchase a pigtail for hooking up trailer accessories from the Dealer that plugs in rather than cutting or splicing wires. OK - THE MEAT AND POTATOES: Did you check all of the fuses in both fuse boxes with a test light? Looking at them often leads one to think a fuse is ok when it is not. There's a fuse box under the hood and inside the cab (the owner's manual will say where they're located.) The circuits you mention all run through the Multifunction switch (Turn Signal Switch). I have seen the hazard switch get loaded with debris and cause a problem. Don't spray anything in it but work the switch on and off quickly several times. The other problem I've seen is the pigtail that plugs into the back of the multifunction switch gets pulled loose. You'd have to remove the upper half of the steering column cover to see it. IF YOU DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE working on your truck, ask around about a good shop (like you would a good Doctor), look for the ASE symbol - they're certified technicians. The Dealer can address it too but costs a little more. Ask before you sign a work order, "does your Technician know Ford Electrical Systems?" Or even better, ask the Tech yourself. Hope this helps. We have 4 Sport Trac 4x4's in our fleet with the Solid Waste Management Department - they get put through the wringer!

30

Hi, Got everything back to normal! {and It Is Not "the new normal!"}. I had used the Hazards...And even though the problem did not show up at that moment...I tried the "move the tilt column and depress the hazards several times" and every thing started working perfect! Thanks so much for All The Responses! patty.

26,245

You're welcome!

Same here. All works well as long as I don't go to full tilt, one notch up and evrything works fine.....thanks soooooo much!!!!!

5

I had the same exact problem with my daughter's 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. Checked fuses, bulbs, wiring, etc - no success, found this thread and moved the column up one notch on the steering wheel and everything works - thanks for posting!!

26,245

You are all very welcome. Thanks for the feedback. Glad I could help!

My 03 was the same thing I can't go full tilt but I found it the hard way after getting a sightation but now I'm trying to find a transmission 5r55s