2006 Ford Fusion....won't start after sitting all nite in cold weather...works fine in warm weather....can crank car over...

Asked by Nov 15, 2014 at 10:17 AM about the 2006 Ford Fusion SEL V6

For last 2 winters...my 2006 Ford Fusion intermittently wont start in cold weather...went out this a.m. and same issue...turn key, car turns over with a lot of battery power...but no start...have taken car to Ford Dealer twice...they cant replicate the problem...now starting 3rd winter....any ideas...I'd be nmore than happy to pay the dealer a few hundred bucks to be rid of the problem....love the card....

85

Based on older Fords, there is likely to be a temperature sensor (cold start, like a choke on a cab car). It fails in extreme cold, but shows fine when the car is towed in and warmed up in the garage. Check your wiring diagram find it and replace it. 1 wrench, one wire about 30 minutes . Hardest part is finding a socket big enough to fit it. Of course, you won't know if that fixed it until it gets really cold again--)

15

Pcholohan, have you any luck? I too am going on my third winter with the same problem on my 2006 SEL V6 fusion. I've also had an opinion from a mechanic friend it could be a fuel pump but I'm leaning towards something like a temp sensor. Unfortunately it never registers any error codes to help isolate the issue.

15

Also, check your engine coolant/antifreeze. There's a history of these guzzling it down.

I have the same problem with my 2006 Fusion! I'm so tired of it. I have taken it to the Ford dealership and my local mechanic and they can never replicate the problem so they can't figure it out. I think this is total crap and Ford needs to address this problem.

85

You need to sit down with a wiring and sensor diagram and find the cold start circuit - like a choke in an older car. You will also need to trouble shoot it while it is out in the cold, because towing to the shop and putting it inside will change the conditions. Get a inline spark tester (About $5.00) or scanner capture tool ($100.00---$500.00). If using the spark plug tester put it inline between plug and wire. If it lights up, you have spark (may be harder to do with coil on plug, but not impossible. If no spark think Ign module. If spark (and I expect there will be but am not sure, thus the testing --) look at fuel . Scanner may show fuel delivery. One cheap possibility is water in fuel system that is freezing and blocking. Try a cheap can of fuel system cleaner or "Dry Gas" Does it not start at all, or does it start, run few seconds then die and refuse to restart?

10

Hi would like to offer another possibility. It may not apply in this instance, but thought it worth mentioning. Had this exact same problem previously with son’s 2006 ford Explorer, 4.0 SOHC engine. Tried many different approaches to solving problem, then stumbled across a Ford Explorer owners forum where they talked about replacing O-ring gaskets on Intake Manifold. I bought the kit at local auto parts store for about $45.00 I think, and spent 2-3 hours taking it all apart and putting it back together. It started on first turn of the key and has never failed to start again in our tough Boston area winters the last 4 years. The explanation for this is that over time the O-rings dry out and shrink a bit. They still maintain enough vacuum to start when it’s warm out, but once it got cold and O-rings contracted a bit, it never would start. When I took out old O-rings and compared to the new ones, they were half the thickness and had no elasticity at all. So, as I say, it might not be the same situation with the engines in the Fusion, but the description of the problem, and lack of other solutions working sounds identical!!