98 e150 oil mix in radiator reserve??

30

Asked by Oct 05, 2010 at 09:12 PM about the 1998 Ford E-150 XLT Club Wagon

I just put 2 qts of oil in yesterday afternoon, last night while on freeway about 10minutes from home, the check oil light came on and the oil level indicator started to flux up and down. no change in power plant performance.  I got home and parked. this morning I had a spot on driveway, it origin is the water reserve bottle. I tested the oil level on dip stick and nothing was there, I put 3 qrts of oil in and still nothing on dip stick. Can anyone break this to me gentely. James in sacramento.,

your truck probley holds 7 qrts of oil,so 3 would not show ,replace your PCV valve,once they clog up it puts pressure inside the engine and blowes oil out the seals,it is located on valve cover.

30

Thankyou, that is great news. better than a head gasket. thankyou angain James.

30

Hello James here with some more questions, how best to approach the draining of the bad mixture in the radiator system? I attempted to drain fluid, but when I removed the top hose, there was still fluid in the top of the radiator. Im a contractor by trade so Im accustomed to getting my hands into stuff. thanks.

unhook top radiator hose where it hooks to thermostat housing,remove thermo housing and thermostat,put waterhose in top radiator hose turn on water crank truck,let it idle,this will flush the rad,& engine,the water will circulate and come out of the thermostat hole in the block,let it run about 10 minutes at idle with watter running,wnen done put new thermostat & gasket in hook up hose fill with antifreeze,do not use the 50/50 mix,it is not worth crap.

30

Thankyou! again, I will def give this a try tomorrow. How do you feel about the products that are added to coolant system to close leaks in head gaskets? Do you find favor with any of them and if so do you have a preference? James.

they all work good,Bars is about the best,but if you do that ,after you flush out the system l.fill half way with water,put in the bottle of head gasket sealer,finish filling with water,let it run for 30 min,drain let it sit overnight and half the day with drain valve open and rad cap off,then fill with antifreze.read the back of bottle,directions for this.

James, had the exact same thing happen to us yesterday. We thought the motor was shot. No water in dip stick in ours either. We are going to try this and see if it works for us. Glad to know we aren't the only ones. Same model van as yours. Thanks for posting your question. Sure helps us. We hope!!! Blessings.

Okay i have A question..my dad filed my antifreeze up on my 98 chevy blazer no spill nothing next morning service engine light was on i got stuck in mud moving got it out was on highway i noticed my thermostat at 200 i pulled over all my antifreeze poured outta the reserves tank what could it be imma girl that knows nothing about cars/trucks could someone please help me out????=( thanks