Looses Spark Under Acceleration. Starts OK

20

Asked by Sep 29, 2016 at 02:17 PM about the 1996 Ford E-150 STD Econoline

I've had several fuel issues; thanks for the help, guys.
Replaced fuel pump.  Pump now checks out ok. Now, engine looses spark
when trying to accelerate. 5.8L. I also recently replaced the starter, but I
would not think that would be an issue with this.

Pretty good shop has not yet figured out why yet.

Anybody have experience with this or know what to look for?  Please and
thank you.

101,485

This should help with the loss of spark. http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/ford/4.9L-5.0L-5.8L/how-to-test-the-ignition-coil-1

20

thanks for your help. I read this and have a question about functionality of the ignition coil. But it's new to me and I may have missed something. You're saying it could function properly to start the engine and idle properly, but fail upon higher RPM/acceleration?

20

20

The journey continues. After spending a lot of trouble shooting time, my favorite shop (who does not charge if they cannot fix the problem - rare breed) found that to make the van run beyond idle, they had to disconnect the "stack connector to control timing". It runs a little retarded now, but still plenty of power, starts right up, no stalling, starts when engine is warm. Below is a photo of the plug. It is on the driver's side firewall, behind the battery. So, the question is, has anybody run across this before and know the better solution?