my gauges quit working

Asked by Sep 21, 2013 at 01:03 PM about the 2003 Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT Crew Cab LB

My odometer, speedometer, fuel, tach, trip, and all of the gauges quit working.

I've checked all of the fuses, and cleaned the battery terminal. What else could cause this problem?

The cluster may have failed. A high-end scan tool can run diagnostics on it. Sounds silly but did you try banging on the dash? I know, not exactly a technical procedure but if the cluster comes back to life - there's an internal problem. The Instrument cluster has its own electronics and processor (so to speak).

i had same prob. 2oo2 ford f250 s/d p/up --when checking fuse # 19 (inst panel./overdrive off switch) wiggle fuse while it is in block and watch gauges at the same time. oddly the fuse may test good but continuity issue can occur on feed out of fuse to the gauges etc.

I don't know if this applies but there have been issues with the small wires that come from the Overdrive Cancel Switch on the Gear selector. They can become chafed and short out within the column causing all kinds of errors and blown fuses. Without checking, I think the OD switch shares some common wiring with other indicator circuits. Pop the steering column cover and take a good look at the wire.

David Gray

all my gauges stop working on my 2003 ford f 350 I need to know where the fuse gauge is

It is best to just replace the Shift Lever Assembly. You will get a new Overdirve wire. It is probably shorted in different places and will cause multiple weird things to happen. LIKE : No radio, windows stop working, all Dash Gauges quit. I tried fixing the wire and had the same I replaced the shift lever and everything is back to normal now. It is a pretty simple process.

I'm a technician and had customer with same OD switch shorting problem. I knew the wire was shorting because when i tilt the steering column up n down my car was dying but couldn't find anything like bare wire visually. I used non traditional test procedures and found it that way. Basically there was pin hole in the insulation shorting to OD or shift lever handle metal bar that you would NEVER see without that test I did. Had to put splice in new wire and the fix was successful.

I registered just to post my fix

Previous owner had this issue and put an auto-resetting 10 amp fuse on this circuit. Eventually, it shorted so often (without me realizing it) that it cooked a trace on the fuse box circuit board. Fortunately, it was repairable with a white wire. Replaced the shifter and it's great!

gauges not working n moving when starter not fire or spark not fire

Had similar problem. 2004 f-250 lost my gauges and OD switch but gauges still illuminated. Took column apart and found shorted wire for OD switch, it was wore clear through. If i twisted wire where it was wore through the dash would work again. Put new OD switch assembly on and the gauges still didnt work. Back probed middle (red i believe)wire on OD switch wire plug and no power was present. All fuses were good, so must have shorted somewhere. So for now i added my own 12v using a protected 10A fuse and now it works. When I have more time fix it right.

I'm having the same problem with my e450 . Started after I installed a simple brake controler for my tow dolly. I disconnected my battery as recommended. And did push the wheel up to get the room I needed to get under the dash. It was a simple install When I took it for a test ride I noticed the gages were frozen , radio didn't work. No power windows Everton else seem good The electric brakes work good Now what I'll have a look around .

My fues keeps blowing out for my gauges on my dash any suggestions

Go over the previous posts - they all relate to your concern

I had a broken shift lever, but all gauges were working fine, just not the od. I put a new shift lever in from Ford and now all the gauges have stopped working and the light does not come on for od.

Figured it out, it was a fuse.