My 03 Malibu with 3.1 engine will not start. It turns over, and has more than a few times, and the engine bumps, as if it is about to start, but will not.

Asked by Sep 21, 2014 at 11:59 AM about the 2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS

When I turn the key, the starter motor engages and the engine turns, and bumps a bit, as
if it is going to start,  but does not. My suspicion is that it is the fuel filter, because of the
fact that the engine bumps, indicating that there most likely is fuel/air ignition, and then no
further starting, so this seems to tell me that there is a fuel starvation of some sort, the
most likely culprit being a clogged fuel filter.

Welp, finally broke down(me, not the car, ;cause it was just setting there, not doing anything), and called for the wrecker to come get it, and let my favorite mechanic wrestle with it. He got it there, climbed in, turned the key, and it started right up, and has ever since. I was kind of embarrassed, but also figured that Murphy wanted to teach me some humility. And now, all I have to do is get a new regulator for the right rear window, and I'll be just right, although that can wait until next Spring, when there will be a need to open the window once more(in lieu of the bisted regulator, I have a piece of 2x4 holding the window shut, a really old mechanic trick).