replaced fuel pump, anti-theft light goes off, car starts then dies after two seconds - what is wrong?

Asked by Jun 18, 2013 at 08:12 AM about the 2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Have tried disconnecting the battery, turning on for 10 minutes and still pump comes on.

90,385

Some cars have this and some don't. Is your engine equipped with a low oil pressure sensor or low oil level sensor ? If it is then that is what to check, if the system can't see oil pressure it will shut off the fuel pump. Hope this helps.

33,355

Does the security light stay off after it dies?

Believe it or not - my husband decided to try the car this morning and it started!!! All we did was leave the key in the start position for ten minutes and tuned it off for a minute three time in a row. Tried to start and it wouldn't start. Don 't know why it started this morning. Is it possible that there was air in the line and it just took time to get it out by messing with it? If so maybe someone should say something about how to bleed out the line. We did leave the battery on the charging all night for the second time.

90,385

The way he wrote the problem with the 10 minute thing, it sounded like that had already been done.

We did it but not three times in a row. It didn't work anyways. We don't know why it works now.

33,355

The ten doesn't always work, sometimes it takes three tries for 30. Glass you got it running though. Usually the air bleeds out in seconds of cranking, since it's working now there is no telling what it was.