Why does the anti theft system keep tripping on my 03 malibu

Kris Robinson

Asked by Feb 23, 2011 at 12:19 AM about the 2003 Chevrolet Malibu Base

Every other day my anti-theft system goes off in my car then I have to reset it. It's not hard, but it is a pain in the butt. Why is this happening?

James Turner

it needs a pass lock sensor/ ignition lock cylinder

This is a common problem with older model (hopefully not newer model) malibus. Google "problems w malibu theft system". Wait 10 minutes until the light stops flashing, then start. Repairs could run from hundreds to over a thousand dollars. Could be a bad key, computer or ignition assembly. Try the less used spare key which should be straight and not worn too much. The system should read it better. Start car with your foot over the gas pedal rather than the brake, then gun the engine. You may have to keep the key in the start position a little longer than usual for it to start. In the long run you may have to repair the problem as it may get worse and compromise your safety even more.

I have the same car, with the same damn problem. Someone recommended this to me because it 'resets' the system. It is recommended to do it 3 times which will take up to half an hour. My vehicle usually recognizes the key about a minute after it's set to ACCESSORY. 1. Put the key to accessory and wait until the dash lights up 2. Turn the car off without starting it 3. Turn they key again (repeat step 1) then start it up in a smooth motion 4. Repeat #3 5. Repeat #3 I have not tried this yet because that theft system is a hit or miss. It usually likes doing it when I am leaving work! A few people have told me it's worked. Maybe the THEFT SYSTEM will go off when I am driving down the road!! It hasn't done anything though, the light just stays lit.

Carol Fragola

All these cars with problems and when I called Chevy & GM they act like they never heard of this & the price they tell you to fix it which is not guaranteed are crazy.

Gail Shaw

I have the same problem and my car is an 04. What do I need to do it doesit all the time now

I called GM today (09/17/14) and they acted like they'd not heard of this problem - told me that it's not related to the ignition switch recall because this doesn't happen when the car is already running/in motion. Just to 'diagnose' the problem at my local dealer is $115.00 - that doesn't include any parts or labor (and doesn't guarantee that the issue will go away!). I'm thinking that somehow it is related to the recall and they (GM) just doesn't want to 'deal' with it. I have been stranded a few times now with this issue - I can't afford to fix this issue for now so I guess I'll just keep hoping that the 'tried and true' method of putting the key in the ignition for a little while and trying to reset the anti-theft system keeps me safe (wherever/whenever my car decides that it's not going to start again) - hopefully this isn't the pre-cursor to me driving down the road and it decides to stop running and I can't manage to safely steer it off the road.

AimeeJoy, I just got my recall on my ignition switch yesterday. Let me tell you what I did with the anti-theft system. Two years ago it was so bad that I was stranded so many times, and then when the light would go out, I would try to start it and it would happen again. One time I was stuck for over 60 minutes in my car, in the heat. I was searching on line and saw that people were spending a large amount money and it never fixed the problem, it would come back. There was this article, were this guy said to pop the radio out and cut the yellow wire that runs to the ignition. You have to leave the car running while you do this. We cut 2 different wires that were yellow and had to re-tape them because it wasn't the right one. That didn't hurt them at all as long as they are re-connected. The reason you leave it running is because when you get the right yellow wire and cut it the anit-theft light comes on and always stays on after that when the car is running. Let me tell you for 2 1/2 years it never happened again. You have to disable that anti-theft system. This really works and cost nothing. Hope this helps you.

lolla7 what if the car wont start though

Can't help you there, I'm sorry. The car has to be running when you cut the wire, because the anti-theft light will come on and stay on, and then you will know you cut the right wire. I don't know if you can find the right wire when it is not running. Even if it took an hour or so, my car would start finally. I have never had one problem with it since.

If car don't start try this I had done this many times with my car & it works turn ingation switch on it takes between 10-15 minutes when theft light stops flashing & stays on turn switch off close drive door put key in lock turn left then rigth then start car it should start right up

What could be the problem with my Chevy Malibu 2002 my ignition will not turn and my wheel turns when its in park when they're not suppose do that could you tell me the problem

with my 04 Chevy Classic the theft system light we'll come on and prevent my car from starting. you have to put your key in the ignition click it 2 times so it's in the on position leave it there for exactly 12 minutes click it back 2x so that it's off then start your car. The car should start