problem with cooling fans not coming on

Asked by Jul 18, 2007 at 12:13 PM about the 2003 Chevrolet Impala Base

cooling fans don't come on,when driving,replaced fans,replaced water pump.and temp sensor 3 times,still not working... but if I remove 1 wire from temp sensor fans come on but temp gauge show zero..Now air conitioning won't work check all fuses and relays all good! but can remove relay from air condition compressor and jump it and air works! what show I check  or do now...

Sounds like the relay for the cooling fans is bad. This is a common problem. Removing the wire from the temp sensor puts the fans into stay-alive mode, and they run constantly as you found out. Have the relay replaced and you should be fine. As far as the AC, it is most likely related to your cooling fan problem. In order not to increase engine heat, the AC is determining that it has to stay off to keep the engine cool. Solve Job 1 and you should have Job 2 in the bag.

bull ...these cars have problem with bcm ,,,and ecm's with one car the ac compresser comes with ac off ...and over heats cooling fans will not come on !!!!!

Aflores1955, what did you finally do to fix this issue? Was it the cooling fan relay? I have the exact same issue on my Silverado, and everything you described to try, I tried and it behaves just like your car does. If you can let me know.

I too am having same issue. I have replaced all three relays, ECT, fan assy (due to one fan burnt out), had BCM and PCM checked (both good), all wiring checks good, all signals at correct places but still no fan activity except for 10 seconds every couple of minutes.

I replied to "Fan Problems" on this page you can read what I did for my 2000 imp, I replaced nothing but just cleaned contact points on fuses and relays(note that they all checked out good beforehand). My fans hadn't worked at all for two years, then voila! Might work for you.

Trebla Doug

02 impala, fan fuse kept burning out. ac fan still working but cooling fan fuse kept burning up as soon the fan start up.

#1 fan fuse blows when I turn the ac on in 2001 Monte Carlo SS

Try removing all fan relay's coat them with dielectric grease, plug them back in and this should work.

From were you replace cooling temperature sensor??if its autozone or o reilly u are having a big headache if my opinion is good 100% it would work if you buy it from the dealer cost around 40 dollars but it works

Tamika Clark

I have a 2000 malibu Ok im having almost the same problem my ac comes on when I start the car blows hot air.. for 3 min n but my fans still dont come on and slowly my ac cuts off...I dont have relay 10 or 6 would that stop it from wrking

Your a/c could possibly have a leak...check for freon leaks...maybe with soap bubbles ??? :)

09 impala fan came on high and stays on the whole time I'm driving but A/c don't work ... where is the relay switch so I can clean and electric grease and see if that works first

Make sure the PCM is well grounded. Fan and relay circuits route thru PCM to ground in order to operate. If not well grounded, fans won't operate. Check PCM ground wire- usually black/white wire- to make sure it is grounded to negative side of battery.

i agree with Kenair , check computer grounds

Had this same issue with my 04 impala and I tried all suggestions listed here with no luck. The fix was to purchase a used ECM from ebay and take to dealer and get it programed to you car. Fan Work now and also AC works.

kereynol, what did you do to end up fixing this issue? I haven't been able to fix my 2006 imp yet either with this issue.

I have a 2001 monte carlo, the fans don't come on until is almost in the red zone on the temp Guage, I've replaced the rad, water pump, thermostat, and both rad lines. Still over heats because the fans Dont turn on. How do u fix this?

First thing I'd look for is DTC's. Then check fan motors. You can "hotwire" them. If the motors work check the relays. If all that checks out, look up cooling fan relay control circuits on the web. Seems this basic problem has been happening for a few years. Also on GM's there are at least 5 inputs and 6 conditions that control operation of the cooling fans.

Almost forgot to tell you to bleed all the air from the cooling system.