overheating

Asked by Apr 18, 2016 at 02:58 PM about the 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS

I have a 2003 2.2 OHV engine in my Cavalier and it
is overheating We have replaced the water pump
the thermostat the radiator new fluid I do not know
why it's overheating the hoses are not collapsing
maybe you can help me figure this out somebody
had said something about an EGR

18,810

Was it overheating before replacing the water pump, thermostat, and radiator ?

12,385

Start with this sounds like the cooling system may not have been bleed in which case it will have air trapped inside displacing coolant and creating steam pockets, resulting in overheating loosen the bleeder screw rotate it anti-clockwise (left) allows the air to escape along with a small amount of coolant .Use Caution begin doing this with your engine cool! 1.make sure theres coolant in the reservoir leave the cap off. 2. Open the bleeder screw until coolant flows out (catch the overflow with a proper container) close the screw.3 Start the vehicle let it come up operational temp... make sure reservoir does NOT go dry, watch vehicle temperature gauge --- you may have to repeat this procedure after driving.. EGR is NOT the cause.

Blown headgasket?

5,445

would test the compression with a compression tester...the leak(s) would be immediately obvious...you will know the bum cylinder...you will need to get a new headgasket installed~ final word~

5,445

the EGR is the exhaust Gas Recirculation, which dumps exhaust gas into the intake upon deceleration~ this would show up in reduced performance and stalling...you'd get a 'check engine' light as well~