64 1/2 Mustang Restoration

Asked by Apr 23, 2017 at 12:56 PM about the 1964 Ford Mustang Standard Convertible

We have a 1964 1/2 Mustang Convertible "F" code w/ "U"
engine (170ci) just picked up for restoration. I've done the
research and less than 20% of the 64 1/2 Ponys had this
smaller engine and with only 24% (28k) of these Ponys
produced as "08" convertibles, that potentially puts this
girl as a 1 of 5,000 made.

My question is from a value standpoint:
--Should we stick with the 170ci and keep her original to
her production or go ahead and give her more HP with a
V8 makeover?

PROS/CONS??

74,595

A car like that, you would want it to be a numbers matching car for the value.

Numbers matching engine and tranny correct?

74,595

Yes, along with the rear end.

74,595

If all the parts are what came with that car originally, thats how you would want to restore it. If the engine and trany were different, changed out, then you go balls to the wall to make it a street rod.

74,595

Numbers matching older classics are hard to come by, and if you have one like this, you want to keep it this way.

Thanks for the input. Yes, as far as we know all original parts. My wife got her from her grandfather when she turned 18. He bought her in this condition so we assume it's original. Problem is there are no door plates or under the hood plates either. The rear quarter panels had some body work done at sometime so we believe whomever had her first must have taken them off and never put them back on. She is a Cruise-o-matic with the standard black interior w/white top. Only "extra" option is an aftermarket Mobilair AC unit that someone told me was probably put in @Sears. The color is Vintage Burgundy

20

The eternal question, pure stock as it came from the factory or customize it? Or somewhere in between? Myself I like a Mustang that is my car. So if you think you are going to sell it in the future, there are lots of people who want it as it came from the factory. If you are doing the Mustang to make you happy and don't plan to sell it soon, build it like you want. I am putting 4 piston Wilwood disc brakes on my GT 350. Stock, nope. But it will stop much better than stock. I bet if I ever decide to sell the car there will be buyers that will be happy I upgraded the brakes.