Do different gears require different levels of fluid?

35

Asked by Mar 05, 2015 at 12:26 PM about the 1993 Ford E-250 3 Dr STD Econoline Cargo Van Extended

Do different gears require different levels of fluid?  I changed my transmission filter, thinking it might be plugged with rust after finding some on the dipstick. Before and after the filter change, reverse worked, but forward gears not so much. Acts like it wants to go forward, but even when hot, at best will only crawl forward in all (D, 2, 1). Had used Lucas tranny treatment right after I found the rust and was able to drive, but still took A LOT of warming up first. I could use any info you care to give about 1993 E250, 5.8L transmissions. I am far from a mechanic, but willing to do/learn what I can because it is only transportation I have and I need to get to work. Thanks for any advice you can offer- Nanc

263,725

Rust in the trans is not good. You tried changing the fluid to see if you can get it work, which only partial solved the issue. I'm willing to bet your looking at installing a used or rebuild trans into the Van.

35

Thanks for the quick response. Naturally, I was hoping for another option- financially impossible right now to replace tranny- but I do appreciate the input. Do you think the gears, bands, or other parts have been damaged beyond repair, then? It ACTS like it wants to go, the idle noise changes when I shift, but it just won’t go.