Any ideas on why my suspension fails to raise the car.

Asked by Mar 18, 2017 at 05:40 PM about the 2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S 430

I have a W220 2000 S430, and my suspension went out. First it start in the rear of the vehicle then the front suspension went out. So I figured my struts were bad and I went and brought all four and replace the front ones. I haven't replaced the back ones yet because when I turn the car on to see if the front suspension raise it wont raise. I am starting to think that it is the valve block because from the start of everything I never heard any hissing noise as there was ever a leak in the system. Is there anyway to tell what I should do next to fix the problem?

74,615

You have to track down the leak. Start where you hear the hissing. May just be a air line that needs repair, the compressor would be running all the time.

there has been no hissing though I would've been able to track It down if that was the case. Would be your best guess as to the next step as to what to do ?

the compressor doesn't run unless I start the car and press the lift button.

74,615

So see if the compressor is running, should be able to hear it with the key in the on position. Either a air leak, or the compressor is not running, or may even be bad.

74,615

Well your not getting air pressure to operate the air struts. There is a leak, or the compressor is not able to create air pressure.

So how can you do a test to see where the leak is coming from ?

Will the compressor run if it cant create air pressure?

74,615

Yes the compressor can run and not create any air pressure. Also if the compressor is good, when it runs you can find the leak by using soap and water in a spray bottle to locate a leak, if you cannot hear the leak. The soap and water will bubble up where there is a leak.

Went to the car wash this morning wanted to clean off the pollen before I ran my errands. After the case wash was done I go to vacuum leaving the car running and bam defective display and check engine light comes on simultaneously. Car won't start at all but all functions work such as lights radio.

74,615

You probably know as well as I do that it could be just about anything, electrical or fuel. Could try and get the vehicle scanned for trouble codes.

Could a blown fuse be a reason for this?

74,615

I kind of doubt it. Something would have to have shorted out for that to happen.

74,615

Did it run out of gas?

No It didn't run out of gas. I was told it could be the crankshaft position sensor being that it won't start up.