cost of replacement motors

Asked by May 20, 2007 at 10:11 PM about the 1994 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Convertible

I have a 94' E320 convertible with only 53k and the top motors are broken so we can't put the top down. We were referred to a independent Mercedes repair shop who quoted us $6500.00 to replace all the hydraulic motors, actuators, and all else required to get it working.

Is this a legitimate price to repair this problem and if it is, am I correct to presume a Mercedes dealer would likely charge us about 8k to 10k?

We bought the car new in 94' and understand that book value would be somewhere in the 15k range at best. We're debating as to whether it's really worth spending this kind of money to repair the problem.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

29,675

I probably wouldn't spend that much to have it fixed. I did a quick Kelley Blue Book search and found that your car in "good" condition is worth about $12,500 (trade-in value.) I entered good because even if your car is in excellent shape a dealer will never give it an excellent rating so the good is more realistic. My own personal feeling is that the car is getting up there in age and although the mileage is low you are going to start to see more and more things that need repaired and with a Mercedes it is not going to be cheap. I would start looking around at a new car.

295

WHOAA!! Go slow, hombre. Dont base keeping this classic just because it's "getting up there." So are you and light gear and so am I. We're all worth keeping. There're few cars thattle give you what an E320 Cabrio can. It's the price of glory.

295

hersh0503 -- I just bought a 1995 E320 Cab -- being shipped right now from Dallas to San Diego. ITM I've been spending time on eBayMotors looking at E320 parts & accessories.I think I saw those convertble hydraulic motors on there. Also you can check some of the aftermarket MB parts houses: adsit, staroutfitters, etc. Pretty sure they have them. What I'm saying is that if it were me in your circumstances I'd buy the parts and have them installed by a top-notch indie MB repair shop. There are quite a few where I live in north San Diego county and I have them on a list if something similar happens to me what's happening to you. Bottomline: I'd fix the car and drive it. If you decide to sell it down the road you'll get back most of what you spent to have the top fixed instead of being badly punished selling it with it inoperable. Let me know what you do as I'm curious at what point MB owners get frustratingly out of their cars. BOL, robertf624

295

here's an example of a site for mercedes convertible parts....http://www.convertibletopguys.com/convertible/1120/Mercedes-Benz-300CE-E320-Cabriolet-1992-95#hydraulics

If you have a Mercedes expect frequent and expensive repairs. Mercedes keeps all technical data very closely held so independent repair shops tipically avoid working on these cars. And parts are highly overpriced even at national retailors like Advance Auto, etc. The reliability of these vehicles is highly over-rated. My experience as a Mercedes owner has been a nightmare.

295

NO!!!! Email Konstain Belov , LA mbcylinders@gmail.com. Buy the O-rings and have an Indy MB shop install them. I'm doing that and it's the way to go. Konstantin will explain it all -- has website and DIY procedures as well. This is I'm doing and Konstantin was a great help and will surely help you resolve your situation. If you're by any chance in the Ornage County or San Diego area, even LA, let me know and I'll give you my indy shop and contact. They're terrific: Carlsbad Exclusive Auto, ask for Chris Carpenter. First-class.