Intermittant gauge/light issue w/electric issues...

Asked by May 08, 2017 at 08:26 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS 4WD

I'm at 180,000 miles. 18 months ago I had sluggish/intermittent gauges...had them replaced...fixed that problem. At 90,000 though I had an issue that appears to have raised it's ugly head again recently. I notice the display readout flashes then the fuel/alt/out/batt gauges go to 0, do have tach and spedo. Then the batt, ABS, parking brake and no airbag lights go on as well. Then suddenly going down the road...'A-bra-ca-da-bra"...magically, it's normal for 2 minutes...then 'poof'...back to acting up.Most of the time it will run but when it's at it's worst... my key fob, all door locks and power windows along w/no vehicle starting!!! I absolutely hate dealers...I've caught them many times trying to bend me over. I do have a mechanic I feel I can trust...just trying to get some in site before I bite the bullet! HELP...

575

With guages acting whacko, look to you ignition switch to be the culprit. Pretty common on our platform.

Had the same issue last year. Apparently these things operate on two separate data systems of some sort. A high speed and a low speed. The engine, tranny and such run on the high speed. And things such as the door control modules(for the windows, locks, heated seats, etc), radio, gauges, a/c, and who knows what else runs on the low speed. If one of these things mess up, or is going out it will screw everything else up that is on that system. My passenger window controls had been going out for awhile and I hadn't fixed it, then I started having exactly the same symptoms as you. Took it to an automotive electrician and he found the bad module, unplugged it, and everything was fine. Bought a used one on eBay for $35. Problem solved. Since then, my oil pressure gauge has been dropping to zero at an idle, about a month or so of this. Two days ago, all those same symptoms came back. Exact same symptoms. I'm online right now, looking for where that sensor is located so I can unplug it or replace it to see if that's the root of my problem this time. My suggestion is that you've been having a problem of some sort like this-that's where I would start. Shadetree mechanic here, not a pro but I'll try to answer what questions you have if I can. JFRagland76@gmail.com