2004 chevy trailblazer shuts off

85

Asked by Aug 04, 2014 at 07:28 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS

my car just turns off, when stopped in drive it idles good then all of a sudden there is a
tremor and the rpm drops and dies, it starts right back up.

32,015

Any Check Engine Lights on?

85

there are no warning lights on, I was in another forum yesterday and many people had the same problem with the trailblazer, most said the ignition switch, so yesterday i changed the ignition switch AC delco is the original switch but the auto parts told me Standard is better so thats what i installed, The car feels better at idle, but today I sat in the car with the air conditioner on in drive for a wile and then it happened the idle and the plower motor went down and came back to normal like is was going to cut off. it happened 2 time say within 40 minutes.

32,015

Was that the norm before you switched out the the ignition switch? Hummmm. No CEL. And no real improvement. I hate to see you throw parts at it. Have you checked the Cam Position Sensor? Just a thought.

85

yes, I have had the car for almost a year so I don't know of the past repairs, I like to do as much as i can before I take it to the dealer, at least I now I have a new ignition switch, and I'm thinking about changing the fuel filter.

32,015

Was the switch on their recall list? As them if your SUV is on that list. The fuel filter and or the fuel pump pressure could be suspect.

104,365

Just a thought. Could also be idle air control valve sticking.

85

I did check on the recalls, The switch is NOT on the recall but it should be, I did go to youtube today and watched how to clean the idle air control valve, its a thought and a lot of work to clean the control valve, I will have time for the fuel filter this week, I like this website and its FREE, dandyoun I like your car.

60

Try cleaning the throttle body it worked with me

104,365

Thanks. It's my baby. When cleaning the idle air control valve also clean the throttle plate. Specially around the edges.

85

so today I had the fuel filter changed and The old fuel filter was extremely dirty, I turned it upside down and brown gas came out like muddy water, That tells me for sure the idle air control valve and throttle body must also be dirty, I found a mechanic that would clean the idle air control valve for $30.00 I beleive thats a good price, you have to be real careful not to move the control valve during cleaning or the computer would need to be reset, I would rather have a mechanic take care of it and he has the equipment to reset the computer. I will do that next week and for now i'm going to add some LUCAS to the gas tank,

32,015

That's a wise decision. And add the Lucas with some dry gas.

104,365

I agree.

70

I had the same issue with my 2003 Trailblazer. After replacing the plugs, cleaning the throttle body, changing the fuel filter, replacing the ignition switch, putting fuel cleaner in the gas, tightening the gas cap multiple times and none of this worked still died when I came to a stop. I got so frustrated and was about to give up and head to the stealer and I came across a post on another forum and a guy said to change the Cam actuator solenoid valve and i figured the would be last part I would try and low and behold that fixed it! Holy crap I was so happy. It cost me $70 at O'riely auto parts. It wasn't that hard to fix. You have to loosen the power steering pump to remove the part and take the serpentine belt off to get the part out but look it up on you tube they explain how to do it. I hope this helps it worked for me!!

70

Forgot to mention disconnect the battery before you do the work, if you don't you blazer will run like crap. When your done connect it back and it will reset the PCM

70

I am having the exact problem but my TB turned off while I was driving and I had to stop to turn it back on. It happened multiple times, 6 to be exact in a 20 minute span. When I was on a stop light I found myself having to put it on neutral to keep it running otherwise it would turn off. Could I be facing the same problem.

10

I have a 2004 TB with no codes that dies randomly at idle and is sluggish feeling on acceleration. I cleaned the throttle body but did not reset the pcm. Could not reseting the pcm be the problem? I was starting to think low fuel pressure or vacuum problem. Might have to check into this cam actuator.