Air Flow from face vent problem.

Asked by Apr 18, 2007 at 11:24 AM about the 1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C 280 Sedan

I just bought 97 C280 and discovered I have no air flow from the two middle face vents when the fan is on? Any idea what might be the problem? Also, the rear headrests will not go down when I press the button. Any help would be great. Thanks.

16,020

Hello tui0jst-- Behind that fancy dashboard in your 1997 Mercedes-Benz C280 is a web of ductwork which guides the air to you vents. Apparently the duct in the center has become dislodged. It is not an easy job to get bask there to do the repairs. I suggest you see a good mechanic or try a body shop for help. As for the headrest, there is an electrical connection between the switch and the headrests that is malfunctioning. You will have to trace the circuit to see where the exact problems lies. Electrical work is no picnic for the amateur. If you are lucky it is just a fuse. Good luck from Bovan.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Thanks Bovan. Can you tell me where the fuse box is in this car. I am still waiting on my manual to arrive.

Hi tui0jst, I have exactly the same problems. did you find any solution? please send if you have sulution. Emin.

30

I have the same problem with my 1997 C280.There is vacuum line in the engine compartment, color is white gray next to the oil filter housing.It's probably got pulled out when changing the filter,also the rear headrest will not work too.The vacuum line is connected to the manifold.This should solve your problem.

5,645

You are having problems with your vacuum system. Behind the right front fender is a vacuum reservoir which holds a vacuum even when the engine is off. Various systems use this reserve of vacuum to operate. The vents in the dash board is one of them, the vacuum motor that operate the rear head rest is the other. It could be the reservoir is leaking ( it's plastic and could get damaged in a fender bender) or the vacuum line from the engine to the reservoir was disconnected

Sent from my iPhoneWell before I can fix the air conditioning on Mercedes it won't do any good until the air vents ARE good and they work off air pressure and opposite vacuum pressure there must be hundred tubes running around so I watched five videos read everything online I could in the chat rooms about how to do it then I started watching one about how to take the dashboard apart saw my opening took the glove box out broke a stick stuck it in there to hold The vent open put the glove box back in and now I'm good to go