Can a guy really repair a fuel pump?, versus replacing one.

10

Asked by Jun 12, 2016 at 08:19 PM about the 1994 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C 280 Sedan

I have a 1994 Mercedes Benz C280. (what's funny is I wrote
C230SeattleGuy, and I don't even own a C230. Ha Ha!)  I am the guy with
the neverending story of a "Crank but no start"  I replaced the following as
recommended would work and have my car start and not staul out
anymore: Spark plugs, wireset, crankshaft position sensor, and ignition
coils

Seriously, a mechanical engineer I know says "Wallace. You don't need to
replace the fuel pump. I can take it out and repair it, myself."  So the
question is, can he really do this?, or is he just think he can do it because
he is a mechanical engineer?   What's the verdict.     Onto the

2nd Question is this:  A mechanic says that the ground wire (a flat metal
strap/wire (with no insulation) attached to the engine with bolts at either
end could have corrosion, keeping the spark from happening.  Could this
be true?

5,305

I do believe this one has a hatch inside the trunk..a circular retainer..and the pump pulls right out...disconnecting the lines and the fuel gauge wires...you get a new sender...sad the motor needs fuel in there to continue...to answer your question...NO you cannot repair a fuel pump~ the outboard models like the old Honda's would spin into a ball of flame....since then automakers always to it this way...in the tank..Don't let it run out of gas..it burns up because it uses the last gallon to circulate and cool itself off~ and yes...clean All cables free of corrosion with a wirebrush...this will help Everything ...or just buy NEW cables (ain't too much~~) YES, the coil needs proper ground...assure the grounds are ALL free of corrosion or replace those cables~

Best Answer
5,305

good idea..clean the grounds back to a metal surface...THEN check the operation of your fuel pump...smart...that should fix you right up~

93,095

Most of today's electric fuel pumps are sealed and cannot be repaired, they must be replaced. The ground referred too is called a ground strap if it has no insulation on it, back at n the 50's and 60's they were very common, you could see then going from engine to frame, frame to body etc, these days they just use insulated wire of varying gauges.

10

Thank you "tennisshoes" Is the ground wire in a specific place on a Mercedes Benz C280, top or bottom of the engine. Now that I am looking for an "insulated wire", the location is really helpful. Thank you!

10

@bob_nueske: thank you so much for your answers, they are very helpful. Same question to you as I asked of "tennisshoes", where is the location of the ground wire for the engine, if I am to find one insulated. Is it located at the top, side, bottom of the engine? Thanks!

93,095

I can't fond any good pics of ground wires for your car, but the one I did find had eyelets on both ends that a bolt or stud would go through so that tells me that it will be on the top side. Of course it never hurts to have more grounds, so if you feel like it you can run some more.

10

great answer. thank you tennisshoes!